Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
db274302

Re: Can't get my bike started.

Ok.
Again, thank you to all that have replied to my issue. I've been working on the bike today.
1. Got new battery
2. got new spark plug
3. Drained carburetor, then primed to make sure fuel was entering the engine. (every thing worked)
4. Checked ignition system by firing the spark plug to endure it was firing correctly. (every thing worked)

Then I let it sit with the fuel set to prime and eventually got the engine to turn over but it immediately stopped.
I've let it sit for about ten minutes at a time and each time can get it to turn over and start for about 5 seconds then it just stops.

Thanks again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
dentheman

Fuel is not flowing fast enough to the carburetor bowl to keep it full while the engine is running, but it does fill back up when the engine is stopped. A carb cleaning is in order and a check of the float adjustment. However, you never did state you ran some carb cleaner through with the fuel or squirted some directly into the carb; that alone might be enough to fix it without carb disassembly.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
db274302

Ya know I have yet to try either of those ideas

thanks

Old 10-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #24
Sarris

Are you using the choke? GZ's are cold blooded and need the choke when cold even in warm climates.

The GZ's idle speed is 1200 to 1500 rpm. Most people have theirs set too low and that will result in stalling especially when cold as well as oil starvation at an idle.

Have you checked the vacuum hose connected to the back of the petcock? That hose allows gas to flow. It's essentially a vacuum operated shutoff. It must be in place and free of cracks and/or leaks or else the carb bowl will empty out after you prime it and it will stop running. This one is a must!!

Add some in tank carb cleaner (Berrymans or Seafoam). If you can get her to run (even having to rev it to keep it going) take it out and run the crap out of her keeping the revs high to move a lot of treated gas through the carb.

If none of the above works, I suggest you take it to a mechanic or the local stealer.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
db274302

Alright. So does anyone have any radical ideas for to get this bike started at least once? I am using the choke, and like I had mentioned earlier this is the first time the bike sat for about four weeks and this is the first time I've had any problems with the bike. At this point I can get the engine to fire and turn over. I can't get it to stay running. The thing just refuses to cooperate. A friend of mine is suggesting spraying some type of starter fluid onto the spark plug then giving it a go.

Thanks.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #26
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by db274302
A friend of mine is suggesting spraying some type of starter fluid onto the spark plug then giving it a go.
That person is NOT a "friend". :roll:

Starting fluid is not intended to be put directly into the open cylinder. :skull:

It is intended to be put, a small spray at a time, into the air cleaner housing......with the filter in place.
Further, it's main use if when the engine is not firing at all; you are already past that point.

During this testing, is there a stock air filter in place ??
And exactly HOW are you using the choke ??
We have had an owner or three show up here who were using the choke BACKWARDS.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #27
db274302

Also, as far as adding SeaFoam or another carb cleaner to the bike. Do I just add it to the gas tank then bleed the carb with the carb drain screw? Or do I have to get the thing running for the carb cleaner to be completely effective?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
db274302

As of now I have no idea if the stock air filter is in the bike or not. I bought the bike used about a year ago from a dealer. As for the choke, I know I'm using it correctly. I've gone over the owners manual and have been using the choke the correct way from the beginning.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #29
blaine

Quote:
Also, as far as adding SeaFoam or another carb cleaner to the bike. Do I just add it to the gas tank then bleed the carb with the carb drain screw? Or do I have to get the thing running for the carb cleaner to be completely effective?

Thanks
For the cleaner to be completely effective and clean the jets and internal parts you need to get the bike running.
But adding cleaner and draining the float bowel is the first step.
:2tup:

Old 10-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
Yes and yes; do both if possible. Once in there, just sitting overnight might help.

Maybe you should LOOK at the air filter. If it is plugged up it could be part of the problem.

Also the choke cable could be loose where it attaches to the carb and thus not really doing anything when you move the lever. Lastly, as the weather gets colder you will need MORE choke to get it going and it will need more warm up time before you mess with the throttle.