Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #61
mrlmd1

Re: Exhaust leak

I also said contact cleaner. Sometimes the WD40, aside from being more immediately available, will clean it up altho it's temporary and can leave an undesirable film on something. Contact cleaner is the ultimate solution.
It could also be the starter solenoid, a bad corroded connection somewhere, a bad ignition switch, a bad safety interlock switch, and I assume you are not forgetting to hold in the clutch when you try and start it. Have you opened the headlight bucket to check if there are any frayed/shorted wires in there?
Did you try and apply voltage right to the starter (with battery cables) to see if it turns over? You checked all the fuses including the main fuse?
If you can find the starter solenoid, you should be able to test if any voltage is applied there when you hit the start button, and if so, if any voltage is coming out the other end going to the starter motor. That should give you some clue that the problem is before the solenoid, ie. in one of the switches - starter, ignition, cutoff, sidestand, or clutch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #62
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I also said contact cleaner.

I totally missed that part of your post somehow the first time I read it.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #63
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I'm not sure what the "continuity" setting is my the multimeter
That's the resistance (ohms) setting. Try the 200 ohm setting first.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #64
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You checked for loose grounds to the frame?
Hard to go from perfectly good to suddenly nothing, especially if you have verified that your starter/kill contacts are clean, unless you have a loose ground connection somewhere.

Pull the seat and the tank and give the whole bike a once over, tightening all nuts, bolts and screws. (Even if that's not the problem, it's good to do every now and then.)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #65
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
... I'm not sure what the "continuity" setting is my the multimeter .... how to get the leads in there
"Continuity" on the old multimeters with a multi-setting dial switch, usually adjacent to the 'ohms', marked "cont." or similar.
Or, if you have a more modern one with some kind of a 'mode' push button, push it until 'cont." appears in the LCD screen.

The leads in:
... the multimeter: red in "+", black in "-"
... the switch: not necessary, just measure using the wires that connect to the switch.

Then, FWIW check under the tank for any wires touching the cylinder head - when I got my bike it kept blowing fuses, because one of the wires touched the cylinder head and the plastic insulation was melted off.