Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Oldtimers disease setting in. :tongue:
I used to know what that was but now I'm not sure. :lol:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #22
bjrscj

Re: Start-up Problem

I think I'm in deep now...

I went to the store and got SeaFoam today. I got home and tried to change the spark plug, but the spark plug socket I borrowed wasn't the right size. So I decided to put the SeaFoam in anyway to see if that helped, since I couldn't get to the spark plug. Well, I put some in, but not too much, since I have a small tank and am only sitting on half a tank of gas. I dumped some in, started the bike up, and it started immediately (which makes me think the SeaFoam wasn't responsible for the initial kick, since it hadn't gone through yet).

I ran the bike for a minute and it sounded great. I shut the bike off, started to put the seat and everything back together. When I started the bike up about ten minutes later, it started great, so I decided to get my helmet and go fill the tank with gas. When I got back down, a bunch of smoke was coming from the engine. But that didn't seem like a big deal, since when I compared reviews of carb cleaners, those who used seafoam talked about how cool the smoke was that came out of the engines. But then everything hit the fan.

The engine died out. I saw a puddle under the engine. When I tried to start it up again, not only did it not start, but the cranking sounded very weak. In fact, when I pressed the starter, it drained power from the light. The headlight and the neutral light went off when I pressed the starter and the cranking died.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!? I feel like the problems are just compounding. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #23
blaine

STOP! If the puddle under the bike is fuel don't try to start it.It sounds like the needle stuck in the carb and flooded the engine & air box.If the engine is flooded with fuel,it can't turn over.Shut the petcock "off".You will need to drain & change the oil, and drain the air box.You will need a 18mm socket to remove the spark plug to replace it.The carb will need to be removed for a cleaning,so this doesn't happen again.
:cool:

Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #24
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
.Shut the petcock "off"
There is no "off" on the gz petcock! Set it to "run". This, effectively, shuts it off, as it will only open with vacuum from the engine.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #25
bjrscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
STOP! If the puddle under the bike is fuel don't try to start it.It sounds like the needle stuck in the carb and flooded the engine & air box.If the engine is flooded with fuel,it can't turn over.Shut the petcock "off".You will need to drain & change the oil, and drain the air box.You will need a 18mm socket to remove the spark plug to replace it.The carb will need to be removed for a cleaning,so this doesn't happen again.
OK, I have a bunch of questions about this process if you don't mind answering them.

1. If the needle is stuck, it seems to be one of the problems. Does this needle need to be replaced or do I need to do anything to fix it?

2. When you say I am supposed to clean the carb, what exactly does that mean? I've looked at the service manual so I can get the carb off, but do I take the whole carb apart and clean every square inch, or is there a specific part I'm looking to clean?

3. While I have the carb off, is there any other maintenance I should do? When reading about SeaFoam, some people talked about replacing gaskets with its use. Do you recommend any service that would be beneficial? I figure I might as well do some things while it's apart.

4. I won't be able to get to this until Sunday. Is this something that will hurt the bike if it sits there for too long? If it can't wait, I might have to cancel some other plans so I can do it earlier.

Thanks for your help. I probably won't have anything new until next week, when I can take the carb apart.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #26
blaine

If you install a new carb rebuild kit,a new needle will come with it.You need to take the carb off and dissemble it,for a complete cleaning.It will be fine till the weekend.The damage gets done if you try to start it.As I stated,new oil & filter drain & clean the air box & filter.I have used SeaFoam for years & have never replaced any gaskets because of it's use.Good luck.
:rawk:

Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #27
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Are you sure you didn't leave the bike in "PRI" position on the petcock?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #28
bjrscj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Are you sure you didn't leave the bike in "PRI" position on the petcock?
Yes, the prime is not on, unfortunately. I wish I could say I didn't know and wish that was the problem.

I've been able to find a suggestion for the air filter (HIFLO-FILTRO:HAF-3503), but I only saw suggestions for carb rebuild kits from dealers. I don't have a Suzuki dealer very close to me, so does anyone have any suggestions as to getting one online? I got to here (http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore ... ild%20Kits), but there are a lot of choices.

I'll double check the prime when I get home again just to make sure.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #29
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrscj

Yes, the prime is not on, unfortunately. I wish I could say I didn't know and wish that was the problem.

I've been able to find a suggestion for the air filter (HIFLO-FILTRO:HAF-3503), but I only saw suggestions for carb rebuild kits from dealers. I don't have a Suzuki dealer very close to me, so does anyone have any suggestions as to getting one online? I got to here (http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore ... ild%20Kits), but there are a lot of choices.

I'll double check the prime when I get home again just to make sure.
That is a good air filter and much cheaper.If you did leave it on prime,it would simplify your problem somewhat.If you are careful when dissembling & cleaning the carb you can get by without a carb kit.pay particular attention to the needle & seat.just make sure everything is perfectly clean.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #30
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yeah. I was gonna say... I don't necessarily think you need a rebuild kit.
You just need a good thorough cleaning.

A similar scenario happened to someone recently;
Crankcase filled with fuel - HELP!!! - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4948&hilit=flooded+engine

Maybe reading over this experience will you help you out.

I know it seems like a big deal when you look down and your bike is leaking fluid all over the place and you can't ride it or even get it started, but it really isn't that big of a deal.

I would wait until you have maybe 4-5 hours on Saturday and knock everything out at once. We even have handy guides to cover most of what you need to do. Some them aren't exact, but reading and looking at the photos should give you an idea of what's required:

How to change your oil: - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=566

Spark plug access - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1715

Needle Shim (Carb deconstruction details and some photo references) - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15

Service manual download - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2158

If you get in a bind mid-job, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. Also, if you don't have any, this is a good time to buy yourself a nice tool set. The money you save by not taking it to a shop will more than pay for whatever tools you buy.

You'll get it knocked out,
Jonathan