Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Moedad

Contemplating a long solo trip for the first week of Fall

I'll have to include some interstate to get to and connect the areas I want to go, so the more I get used to it, the better off I'll be. A bit cooler weather would be a plus as well, since going just about anywhere from here (except up the coast) means riding across the desert or up through the Central Valley, which is as hot as the desert in the summer.

Here's the basics: leave SoCal and head across the Mojave, either up the I-15 corridor (avoiding it when possible but trending that way) into UT to Hwy 89, or east along the I-40 corridor into AZ then north on Hwy 89 all the way up to Yellowstone. From there either north into Montana and across the middle of Idaho to Lewiston before turning south to Boise, or west across lower Idaho to Boise and then heading south through Oregon, Nevada, into CA near Reno, then over the Sierras through Yosemite (GZ up Tioga pass - crazy? O_o ) and back down through aggie country of CA and home again. 3,000 miles give or take in about 8-10 days. Camping/hoteling mix. I've done lots of these types of solo trips in a car, now I'd like to try one on a bike. A bigger bike would be better, but...is this nuts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Moedad

I have something similar (but maybe a bit less lengthy) in the back of my mind. I think I am going to work my way up to it. I've also decided not to do anything too ambitious until I have finished the friggin MSF and am officially licensed. (Hopefully 9/19)

Are you going to hotel it or camp? I kind of prefer solitude, but I'd be interested in picking your brain as you explore this. Maybe we can cut the number of stupid choices we make in half.

-Alan.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Moedad

Re: Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Are you going to hotel it or camp?
80/20 camp/hotel. My backpacking gear will be come touring gear.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
music man

Is it Nuts? Yes. Is it doable? also Yes. 300 miles a day for ten days on a GZ would be an Iron Butt ride for sure, But it definitely sounds like a very fun ride you have planned. I have been contemplating a similar undertaking, though not as long of a trip, but just riding and camping along the way would be VERY enjoyable.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Moedad and others

... be very interested in your shortlist of crap you take with. My taste tends to be:

Less is more.
The lighter and pricier the better.

To me, half the fun of doing this sort of thing is the assemblage of the minimal amount of the most useful gear and reducing the "hassle factor" to as near zero as possible.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I don;t know what's out there but I like staying at hotels located inside national and state parks, when applicable. It's always very quiet and the service always seems to be top notch. Combine that with low prices and you can't beat it.
They usually also offer camping and access to camp showers. It's the best.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Moedad

Re: Moedad and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
To me, half the fun of doing this sort of thing is the assemblage of the minimal amount of the most useful gear and reducing the "hassle factor" to as near zero as possible.
I'm very much in that camp. A few basic items of clothing, minimal toiletries. Do I care if strangers care if I smell? Maybe my fishing gear, but probably not. My little digital camera. Rain gear, tool/flat repair kit. My iPod and a couple or three good books. Maps showing backroads. I would very much consider leaving my little Whisperlite stove and cooking gear home in favor of eating out/carrying snacks.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I don;t know what's out there but I like staying at hotels located inside national and state parks, when applicable. It's always very quiet and the service always seems to be top notch. Combine that with low prices and you can't beat it. They usually also offer camping and access to camp showers. It's the best.
Yes, although some of the national park lodging *cough*like Yosemite*cough*gets pretty darn expensive.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:55 AM   #9
Orpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Is it Nuts? Yes. Is it doable? also Yes. 300 miles a day for ten days on a GZ would be an Iron Butt ride for sure, But it definitely sounds like a very fun ride you have planned. I have been contemplating a similar undertaking, though not as long of a trip, but just riding and camping along the way would be VERY enjoyable.
Agreed. I'd say that 200 miles/day would be a better goal to shoot for, either by giving yourself more time or by decreasing the total trip mileage. Otherwise, it sounds like a great trip.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
I'd say that 200 miles/day would be a better goal to shoot for, either by giving yourself more time or by decreasing the total trip mileage.
With any adverse conditions at all, I agree that 200 is enough for most people.
With the heat and the seat, I found ~200 MPD was just about right on my trek to Atlanta and back.
If I ever "fix" the seat (not looking good yet), I think I could easily do ~300 a day if the temp. was below 85 or so.