Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Chris

Highly recommended "Draggin Jeans"

My motorcycle maintenance expert highly recommended "Draggin Jeans" to wear when riding. These look like real jeans but have Kevlar inside them. So when you come off the bike (it is going to happen so be ready) the Kevlar will hit the ground instead of your skin.
These come big for the Kevlar inside. They are about $100 and I'm going to buy a pair.
I wonder if they buy jeans a couple of sizes larger than an individual wears and then sew in the Kevlar. Anyway, my friend says they feel great, are warmer than jeans, and far cheaper than leather pants. Leather pants are hot, expensive, and ugly. He says these are far better.
I'll get a pair soon.

Chris, north Georgia cruiser

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Highly recommended "Draggin Jeans"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
My motorcycle maintenance expert highly recommended "Draggin Jeans" to wear when riding.
Timely subject. Last year, I got some "Steel reinforced" jeans from Joe Rocket. Total crap. They look and feel like clown pants, even after having the legs tucked all the way down. The waist is the right size but they don't fit right anywhere else. Bunch of $$$ down the drain.

So, please do let us know what you end up doing.
I'm not sure that being "warmer than usual" would be a plus......especially not in Atlanta !!!

My mistake was not trying them on at the dealer's and sending them back right then. I will not make that mistake again.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
mrlmd1

I bought a pair of leather overpants with full side zippers and snaps on the lower legs to get them on and off relatively easily from Leatherup.com at about $75. They do keep the wind off, just have to figure out something at the bottom to close it off from the wind getting up in there when you are riding. They give you a few extra snaps and maybe I'll just put another one on the bottom to close it off that way by making the bottom edge a smaller diameter.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

If you don't mind a touch of the "Batman" look, I wear the Tourmaster Calibers on all long rides and have been very happy with them. They aren't cheap and don't look like jeans, but they are padded and reinforced and very comfortable to wear. They have a zip in zip out lining and are warm down to high thirties (I usually only wear compression shorts underneath, but you can buy them large and they'll fit over a pair of jeans, thermal underwear, etc.)

I did melt a small patch on one pair when I was pushing the GZ through an intersection and managed to touch the tail pipe near the joint. This is not easy to do in regular use.

For my commute, and short rides, I just go with Wranglers. I don't get above 45 and there is little traffic/hazards of any kind. (I literally ride past a 2 mile regional park for most of it!)
Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Chris

To mrldm1,

Wind coming up my jeans leg is a problem. I wear heavy boots 100% of the time on the bike. On a cool trip I just use the boot laces from the boots to wrap around the bottom of my pants. I often wear long underware. Also I often wear sweat pants in place of long underware. The difference is the sweat pants will come down over the tops of my boots. Then tying them makes a big difference.
I have put velcro tightly around my jeans right at the top of the boots. That worked well, but look dorky even for me. Then I tried the boot laces method and it works well.
On cold rides I wear long underware AND the sweat pants!! Dorky, but rarely does anyone go under my jeans to see what is under there.
I always dress heavy and since I ride about 1000 miles a month it helps a lot. I'm almost never too hot unless I stop. But if I get hot I can peal off underlayers. I always wear goves, usually leather gloves. In the winter I wear skiing gloves! A bit bulky, but boy, are they warm.
We'll help you retired Doc's all we can.

Chris, retired from self employment, MBA adjunct college professor.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
El Diablo

I have a pair of Kevlar chaps. Other than being olive green they are very comfortable and go on easily over jeans or slacks. They have a drop down on the front that covers your shoe string area which kind of keeps the wind out. Bought them originally for hunting.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
adrianinflorida

Hey, if shorts, flipflops and a tank top are good enough for the GSX-R kids here in Florida, good enough for me.

(Just kidding, jeans, leather or textile jacket, gloves and full face helmet, every ride)
Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

HA!

Blue & White Gixxer 600s are the "Squid Bike of the Year".
Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
mr. softie

Another good jeans alternative is the Carhartt B136 double front dungarees. 12 oz duck canvas with a double chap type front. Cleanout bottom so knee pads can be inserted. $35-$55 depending on where you buy them. They also have a 15 0z logger double front dungaree.

I also came across these work pants... more money but come with knee pads. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/c...ture=product_4