Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Brrrrr

Well, i've been riding up here in Pa for the past two weeks (weather permitting) in average 20-25 degree weather at night / 35-40 degrees during the day. I must say it hasn't been too bad.

Bottom: thermals, jeans, chaps + thick socks.
Top: thermals, tshirt, long sleeve, thick hoodie sweatshirt, overly heavy leather riding jacket.
Head: 1/2 coverage neoprene mask (covers forehead, face, ears, neck), bandanna, knit hat + non DOT german skid lid.
Hands: thick insulated hunting gloves. (need to upgrade to same but in leather).

One problem i am coming across is keeping my forehead warm because of the eye holes in the mask. Sub zero wind chills at 50mph hitting my forehead feels like riding with ice cubes on me. I have to figure out where the air is getting in and adjust my headwear to prevent it.

The other problem is ... and this holds true for almost every single 'biker' style jacket, is air getting into the tiny holes of the snap buttons for the upper jacket flaps. When i zip fully up, the snap button backs are exposed (on the breast of the jacket). Although very small .. what 1/4" if that ... its enough when its in the 20s to chill your chest. I really have to get some hot glue and fill the buttons in to prevent that as well.

I've got it down pretty good with my setup that zero air gets in anywhere besides what i just described. One more thing i need to add to my wardrobe is a scarf of some sort to build up the top of the jacket. The mask goes well below my neck, but there is still some room there for air to get in. A tied scarf tucked under the jacket should do the trick.

So, anyone else venturing out in the winter months??

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Brrrrr

Do you count what we have as winter months? I finally put my liner in my jacket the other day.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
music man

Yea I ride at least two to three times a week no matter what the weather, (well, except for the occasional week where it rains all week). Isn't it weird how the more you ride in the cold, the more you can track down EVERY little leak in your clothing. And the weather you described is about what it is like in Arkansas in the winter, usually for a few weeks in late Jan. early Feb. it gets a little bit colder and sometimes it snows us in for a few days.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #4

I haven't ridden since the middle of December - we had some nasty winter weather for a couple of weeks. But tomorrow (Dec. 27) is supposed to be near 60 degrees, though it will probably be wet. I've been waiting for this so I could take the bike for a spin and then winterize it properly, but I do have a question for you all. The roads have been salted quite a bit, so I'm worried about that, obviously. But when I wash the bike, does that mean I have to be meticulous under the frame, the engine, everything, etc. or I'm asking for trouble? A noob question, I know, but I'm used to the rust protection of cars. So exactly how meticulous do I have to be when washing the bike?

Thanks,

Keith

Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
music man

If I was to ride my bike where I thought (or knew) that there was salt on the roads, and especially if I knew after that that my bike was going to be put up for a while, I would have to go over my bike cleaning it with a fine tooth comb, I would clean every nook and cranny twice, and oil and lube the Sh#t out of everything.

But take that for what it is worth, because I don't and never have lived anywhere where that is too much of an issue, we only get really froze over occasionally here, and they don't salt too much of anything, not saying that it never happens, but very little.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
mr. softie

I was riding every day to work and back rain or shine till we had that ice storm last week and all the roads around me had icy patches. I will ride all winter if the roads are clear, but not if there is snow/ice on the roads. As for staying warm and dry I just put my Fieldsheer suit with the liner in it on over t-shirt and jeans and wear my full face helmet, insulated boots and gloves. The only spot that gets chilly is the bottom of my chin, beard notwithstanding. I think my windshield helps a lot in the cold and wet. Cleaning the bike of winter road dreck is very important. I just spray some wd40 on the frame etc and wipe it down good with a rag. The GZ cleans up pretty fast, there isn't a lot of bike to clean! Good to hear of other riders braving the cold :2tup:
Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
rayzuki

I just had the worst storm system here in 40 years. A foot of snow then a 1/2" layer of ice from the freezing rain then another 6" of snow. The roads are crap. Completely iced over and about 6" grooves from the traffic. I have spun out twice even with chains on. After about 2 weeks looks like it is finally over. The worst part is the airport was shut down so I didn't make it to Texas for christmas with family. :curse:
Old 12-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Just a hunch but try an elastic insulated headband to keep the cold spot off your forehead. Try it in or outside the mask for effectiveness. Also, have you tried a long sleeve turtle neck ? There are so many different combos to try you might not find a good one till spring.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Well i do have a bandanna on plus a knit hat that i pull over the mask section that goes over my eyebrows.

I think the air was getting in behind the glasses and getting in the eye holes. Thats the first time it was that cold on my forehead .. so maybe i had something in the wrong place.

47 tonight ... foggy as all hell!!! but im not passing up the temperature lol. Takin the bike out for a bit.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 12-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Have you ever tried a full-face helmet? You know, just for kicks?