Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
music man

My new ride

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago, it's a 1999 Suzuki VS800 Intruder, basically the same color as my GZ. The GZ looks right at home next to a bigger bike doesn't it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
BusyWeb

Re: My new ride

Hi, there...
It looks like just bigger brother of GZ250.
Looks really great.
Is it really 99 year?
Very clean looking condition.
Hoping that having some ride-report of it. :rawk:
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
dannylightning

awesome, i just picked up a 01 intruder volusia 800cc i got it about 3 days ago. 800cc is a huge step up. its like riding a rocket around town im sure youll enjoy riding that thing.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Dang it, where do you guys find these next to new bikes ? When I was looking every used bike I looked at would been on a trailer just to get it home and in need of $1500 for parts and service to make it safe.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
dhgeyer

Looks like you did great! Cool the way they match. Congratulations, and enjoy your new ride!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Dang it, where do you guys find these next to new bikes ? When I was looking every used bike I looked at would been on a trailer just to get it home and in need of $1500 for parts and service to make it safe.

Well this one needed quite a bit of servicing, it had been sitting up for quite a while, so before i could really use it at all I had to drain/replace every fluid in it (of course I would have done that to a used bike that was only a year old too). I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, air filters, and about to put a front tire on it. And even though you can't see them in the pics, it has a few small wear and tear type scratches and a small ding in the gas tank, but I got it cheap and considering pretty much everything but mounting a new tire I can or have done myself, all in all its not too bad.

So its not perfect, but I didn't pay perfect condition price for it either. When you are poor like me, you have to get the ones that need a little of this and a little of that.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
mrlmd1

That's an older version of the S50 I recently got, and you will love it. It's light, fast, handles like the GZ, gets good gas mileage, and is very reliable. :2tup:
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
dannylightning

[quote=music man]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":34uy556i

Well this one needed quite a bit of servicing, it had been sitting up for quite a while, so before i could really use it at all I had to drain/replace every fluid in it (of course I would have done that to a used bike that was only a year old too). I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, air filters, and about to put a front tire on it. And even though you can't see them in the pics, it has a few small wear and tear type scratches and a small ding in the gas tank, but I got it cheap and considering pretty much everything but mounting a new tire I can or have done myself, all in all its not too bad.

So its not perfect, but I didn't pay perfect condition price for it either. When you are poor like me, you have to get the ones that need a little of this and a little of that.[/quote:34uy556i]

music man, i think i got lucky when i found my intruder. i did a lot of shopping around. just about any thing i found in really good condition was in the 5k+ price range or it was a good price but had a lot of miles on it witch i did not want. some people were selling bikes in not as good condition and less cc's for more than i paid for mine. keep shopping around my friend and a deal is bound to slap you in the face at some point and time. just got to have patients, luckily mine came along right away. i was gonna keep shopping around and save up my money till spring. but than the deal slapped me in the face.

Water warrior, how do you like your new ride so far. have you got to spend much time on it yet. im really happy for you man. getting off that gz and on to the intruder was a major thing for me. i think it was the best money i have ever spent. i still cant beleave i got a killer bike setting in my garage. i got up to about 80 on mine yesterday for about 30 seconds and it still had plenty of get up and go left in it. i think a 800 cc is a great way to go.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

I always liked those bikes. Something about the big painted chunk o' frame right below where the tank meets the forks looks just right for some reason. Not sure I've seen another bike with that.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Danny, the "M" is actually Lynda's new ride. I am the favored farkle installer and oil change guy for the bike. I actually had to work up to riding it as I had modded the bike to fit Lynda as requested. A backrest and 2.5 inches more pullback on the bars made it a bit tight for my size. Also I am used to the Vstrom with a sit up and beg riding position which I like the most. The "M" will take to the highway like a champ and never a complaint. It is quite capable of munching miles all day long and actually does very well in the curves and sweepers at a quick pace.
Lynda has mentioned the "M" does not brake or stop as well as the GZ. The rear brake is only just there and the front disc should have been twinned for better stopping power. When I rode the "M" I was surprised at how well it did not work when compared to my Vstrom with 3 discs. Suzuki must be thinking riders will upgrade to a larger better braking cruiser in time. Yup, they dropped the ball on this one. Some of the direct competition for the "M" and "C" models are building 2 or 3 disc bikes that will stop very well. Not everyone wants a mega bike to ride. Overall the Suzuki mid sized cruisers do a good job and with a minimum of fuss or maintenance. Of course that can be said of almost any mid size these days and all you have to do is find the one that fits you best.
Your bike with minimum mileage but 8 years of time probably needs all fluids changed, a valve check, and new rubber if original. Go to Motorcycle-Journal Forums for all the skinny on your new bike. Their is a wealth of experience there from riders with all makes and models. You will find Easy and WW(me) to greet you.

Oh yah, we should probably invite Alan with his Strat. " Attention Alan, come join us there too. "