Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Weekend Rider

How do you use Berryman B-12?

First Post: As a newbie to this forum, just reading, learning and being amazed at the wealth of information here, I'm blown away!

I've recently bought a 2001 GZ250 with 3,700 miles on it. I've only ridden it on a very short test ride due to the cold weather. It was sitting unused for a few years and I suspect it has some carb issues and needs to be cleaned. A post from a user I cannot recall stated pouring Berryman's B-12 or Seafoam into the carb and let it soak overnight. Or is just using it as a gas additive is the extent of its use?

Am I correct in thinking I should remove the carb and let it sit covered with the B-12 overnight to clean the probable gunk inside?

The bike is hard starting and runs a bit rough with flat spots. A new plug (Denso X24ESR-U), air filter (Hi-Flow), oil filter, Shell Rotella-T oil and other goodies are on order. I suspect this bike was just ridden and not cared for properly but is in fairly good shape cosmetically.

Any other issues I should be concerned about for a bike this old and not ridden that much?

Living in Pennsylvania there will be no riding till spring. Winter will give me plenty of time to get it in shape.

I'm happy to have found a site dedicated to this bike with the wealth of knowledge and so many helpful folks. It's great and just what I needed. Thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
Cathy

Welcome,

Good luck on tuning your bike up to tip top shape.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
JWR

It helps to ride the bike with carb cleaner in the fuel.
If you are not going to be riding the bike, the carb is very easy to take off and clean out.

Tires would be my first concern, they may look good, but how old are they?

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
blaine

Some times it takes a couple of days for the SeaFoam to do it's job.Once it's in the fuel system,sitting over night help to desolve deposits in the carb.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If the bike is starting and running, then you're actually already ahead of the game, considering how long it sat for.

How new is the gas? I would flush the tank if it's kind of old and then pour in a half gallon of fresh fuel and a higher-than-normal concentration of Berryman's or Seafoam or something similar. (I use Marvel Mystery oil, but I'm weird.)

I know it's cold, but take the bike for a little ride. Get that stuff flowing through there. Bundle up and devote 30 minutes to tooling around. These bikes can't sit and idle for long periods of time... They turn into golden/melted paper weights. Not kidding. Don't just crank them and let them sit. They're air cooled. They need air flow for that to happen.

Anyway, once you get the new gas and carb cleaner flowing through there, then you can let it sit for a while. If you are shutting the bike down for the season and just don't want to ride it at all, then drain the carb of fuel from the bottom of the float bowl and then perform all of the maintenance that you want to do and cover it up. (If you leave gas in there, it will just varnish and you'll have more work to do in the Spring. Take the battery off the bike and get a battery tender to keep it topped off. Air up the tires, lube the chain, change the oil, and then cover her up for hibernation.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Weekend Rider

The journey begins...

All the tips and good wishes are appreciated. Now it's down to the garage for an afternoon of 'play time'.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

That's the best kind of play time... Well, second best.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Weekend Rider

TANSTAAFL!

Choices, Choices. Buy plugs and oil or buy jewelry. Hmmmm... :confused:
Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR View Post
If you are not going to be riding the bike, the carb is very easy to take off and clean out.

Likely the tires are original and the rubber has dried out. They will be very slippery and dangerous. Budget for new rubber soonest. I would also add an inline fuel filter just to prevent old tank mung from getting to the carb.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
Weekend Rider

Originally Posted by JWR

Water Warrior 2 Posted: Likely the tires are original and the rubber has dried out. They will be very slippery and dangerous. Budget for new rubber soonest. I would also add an inline fuel filter just to prevent old tank mung from getting to the carb.

JWR and Water Warrior 2 - Thanks for the comments. New rubber is on the winter to-do list. I will also remove the tank and add significant Berryman's and slosh it around for a day or two to disolve the mung. Replacing the fuel line and filter is also on the list along with carb removal and giving it a good bath with Berryman's. After the tank is cleaned I'm going to attempt to minimize a few dents from the previous owner allowing it to kiss the ground a few times. I believe one and maybe two might pop out using one of the paintless dent removal techniques and then finish it off with some body filler, primer and paint.

Thanks guys, the comments are appreciated.

Tags
berryman