Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
19droo62

ENGINE NOISE

Hello there. I am new to this site. I just purchased a 2002 GZ250 with only 1900 miles. The bike is in excellent condition. I just wanted something to drive around town that was a little cooler than a scooter. So far, I am very pleased with the GZ250. Question, is it normal for these engines to have some ticking noises? I have even noticed that around 60mph there is a vibration similar to a bullfrog "croaking" at night.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: ENGINE NOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19droo62
Question, is it normal for these engines to have some ticking noises? I have even noticed that around 60mph there is a vibration similar to a bullfrog "croaking" at night.
Welcome new friend!

Yes, all that is normal for a one lung motorcycle engine.
The ticking is the valves and associated parts; mine is worse when restarted HOT (don't know why).
The other noise you describe is a harmonic vibration which is, likely, a combination of things.

Much more rare is the bouncing syndrome. I have had it happen twice and only know of one other rider who has. It is speed and rpm sensitive and happens about 38 mph in 4th gear; feels for all the world like you have a LARGE lump on one of the tires........and then goes away.

It IS an interesting little machine.

Stick around for a while. Hopefully you will find something we do here to be interesting, informative or just amusing.

P.S. Please fill in your profile with a little more specific location. I'm hoping we can arrange more small group meetings/day trips this year. The guys in California are WAY ahead of us on this one........but then they are traitors too. :biggrin:
Old 03-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

Much more rare is the bouncing syndrome. I have had it happen twice and only know of one other rider who has. It is speed and rpm sensitive and happens about 38 mph in 4th gear; feels for all the world like you have a LARGE lump on one of the tires........and then goes away.
:
[/quote]

I have the "bouncing syndrome" that you refer to, I can't remember at exactly what speed it is at, but it feels just like you said, like you have a tire out of round, but if you slow down or speed up the Rpm/speed, it goes away.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Nobody can tell you that these machines don't have a personality all their own. These little quirks here and there seem to be unique to this particular bike.

That's what makes it a fun ride.

Welcome droo.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
I have the "bouncing syndrome" that you refer to, I can't remember at exactly what speed it is at, but it feels just like you said, like you have a tire out of round, but if you slow down or speed up the Rpm/speed, it goes away.
That makes 3! I have all but eliminated mine by changing the pre-load on the rear springs. I run on 2 most of the time and put it back to 3 when I have luggage on the back. I noticed it when set at 3 with just me on the bike.