Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

New questions on windshield

Yes, I've seen all, or at least most of, the posts on windshields, but today I finally put my Plexistar 2 on and went for a ride. Placed the shield so the top comes to the bridge of my nose and felt some head buffeting. Here's my question: Isn't that high enough I should not feel any head buffeting, or should I expect some head buffeting no matter what? Wasn't bad buffeting, I think, but I'm not sure; I've never ridden a motorcycle with a shield before. BTW, looks to me like the shield is at the same angle as the forks.

Also, it was a sunny day here, but it seemed harder to see minor details in the road (smaller pot holes, grade variations, cracks, etc.) through the shield. I assume this is glare related. I know I have to decide if I prefer to look over the shield (which would mean a lower placement and more head buffeting) or through the shield (so I'll have to contend with the glare and not seeing those details as well). Is it a question of safety vs. comfort, risk tolerance and all that? Or am I missing something?

Last question, I guess for Alan and Moedad. I know you guys had/have the same windshield as I do (my bike looks almost exactly like Moedad's old bike, just with smaller bags). Does our shield keep the wind off your hands enough to help there (I know you are both in California, but it gets colder there sometimes, too). It seemed to me like it did, but it was 55 degrees and sunny, so maybe that's the reason my hands felt toasty warm?

Thanks,

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
adrianinflorida

Re: New questions on windshield

Possibly more or less rake (Forward/rearward angle) in the windshield might move the airflow higher over your helmet.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Moedad

I still have my GZ for now, and I ride it regularly. Yes, the windshield keeps the wind off of my hands. The top of mine is about at chin level and I can say I don't experience much buffeting at high speeds (above 55) and virtually none at lower speeds, but there was defintely an increase in noise. Some engine noise is reflected back at me, and there is a different, louder wind noise. You might try playing with the angle a bit.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

I have two bikes, both have windshields that come up a little below eye level. My guess is at 70 you are going to get some buffeting no matter what.

I haven't noticed glare with the GZ, but it is problem with the Strat at night (the blue lights from my "dashboard" are reflected in the shield... dumb.) My eyes aren't so good so maybe I am just not paying attention.

It will definitely help your hands in the cold.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
Placed the shield so the top comes to the bridge of my nose and felt some head buffeting. Here's my question: Isn't that high enough I should not feel any head buffeting,
You need to "study" the situation a bit before you make any additional adjustments.

All "buffeting" does not come from air over the TOP of a shield; some comes from the sides and occasionally even up from the bottom. You need to "feel" around with your hand a bit and see where the offending air is really coming from. Probably won't be able to eliminate all of it, however, and if you go the "look over" route, it will probably get a lot worse.

You can drop the shield down and still get a good top deflection by standing it up more straight upright. This will, however, present more drag. It is all a compromise and it even varies some due to the specific helmet you are wearing.

I ended up with mine just a bit more upright than the fork angle and I look through it........but yes, there is a little distortion that way and some glare under the right conditions. I don't notice the glare part as much if it ride with polarized glasses or a tinted face shield.

AND one final point: Even though I prefer looking through the shield, that can put you in a really NASTY sitation if the shield is a little dirty (bugs) and you get caught in the rain at night; you can be effectively BLIND as far as looking through the shield because the oncoming headlights makes the shield into a wall of glare. Wherever you end up setting it, make sure you can "stretch" a bit and see OVER it, should the need ever arise.