Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #21
3-D Video

Re: Trip Meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
3-D, have you resolved this issue yet? My VZ800 also has the little dohickey thingy missing and I was hoping to ride on your coattails for a solution.
Hi Maggie
No. My bike's down in Portugal. I'll be going down to visit it in about 3 days, and I'll be staying there for a month... So, this time next month I should have an answer for you :??:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
3-D Video

I managed to reset my trip meter, temporarily (no knob).
I took the housing off the odometer, but there was nothing in inside that was any different than what you see on the outside, so that was a waste of time. An endoscope would have been helpful, but mine is on loan
I had a mobile phone repair kit, like the one pictured on this site:
http://www.cell-phone-accessories.com/toolkit8piec.html
The "B2" tool fit nicely into where the reset knob would go, and worked.
Problem is, there's nothing but friction to keep it in place. So, I either leave it there and lose it, or put it in my pocket and lose it.
I can't glue it to the (there's a) tiny threaded rod inside the housing, because then I wouldn't be able to remove the outer odometer housing when the time comes to replace the lights for the speedo.
I figure a cheap and easy fix would be to drill a small hole in a dowel to fit over the threaded rod and file it's end to match the "B2" tool. Then screw something like a toothpaste cap and spacer to the other end. Then, when you're sure it works, put some epoxy in the small hole you drilled and wait a few hours. The hole for the trip meter isn't very deep, you can measure it's depth with a tooth pick.

I'll be moving down to where my bike is, at the end of December. I'm fortunate enough to have a lathe, though it's already packed. I'll probably use it to make something like I just described, once I've moved.
Here's the "B2" tool:
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
mrlmd1

I don't understand, if the knob turns "forward" to tighten, ie, clockwise, and to reset the odometer also turns clockwise. how is that left hand ( or reverse) threads? Clockwise is the normal direction for almost all screws and nuts and turning the knob clockwise to reset the numbers also tightens the knob on the threaded rod it's attached to. There's no gigantic amount of torque on this thing, so why can't you just glue something onto the threaded rod and if you have to open the speedo case again, just pull it right off if you have to? A ballpoint pen refill, either plastic or metal may be about the right size, just cut it to length, maybe cover the end with a glob of glue or something to get a better grip on it so you can turn it easier.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #24
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I don't understand, if the knob turns "forward" to tighten, ie, clockwise, and to reset the odometer also turns clockwise. how is that left hand ( or reverse) threads?
Turning the knob forward is counterclockwise.Clockwise would be turning towards the rear of the bike as the knob is on the left side of speedometer.
:roll: :whistle:

Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #25
dentheman

It doesn't look like it would be difficult to fashion something like that tool to stick in, reset, then remove. In fact, I would hesitate to glue something to the speedo if it could break off inside the speedo case. Attach the home made tool to your bike key keychain then you won't lose it.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #26
mrlmd1

Sorry, I forgot, it's been a while since i had my GZ. I thought I remembered that little knob was on the right side of the speedo, to be turned with your right hand clockwise to change the odometer setting.