Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
b1pig

irratic idle

hey, guys. got an issue that has been nagging on the wife's GZ for a while now. The idle is all over the place. I'd think it was a vaccum leak, but there really isnt one. I finally got a replacement choke cable in, so I replaced it. The bike was completely unridable before this. With no tach, I could only guess it wanted to idle around 2500-3000 rpm. Mainly due to the choke, I know. I went ahead and pulled the carb and broke it down. i cleaned the whole thing out. There was some ugly residue that came out, but only a very small amount. The only place where there was any real evidence of gumming up was... guess... the "choke". (more of a manual enrichment....) I also did a valve adjustment. the top end was horribly noisy. well. i got the exhaust right, but I dont have the smaller gage for the intake... so I guessed at it. It ain't perfect, but its a LOT better than before.

Now.
The idle is whacky. if youre cruising and slow down, you can tell that it doesnt return all the way down. after you come to a stop, the idle hangs a tad high. drag the clutch and it comes down and stays there. if you rev it a little, sometimes it eases back down, sometimes it hangs up there a bit. its more annoying than a hazzard to riding or damage. All the vent lines are routed like they should be, includeing the "fuel pump" vaccum line to the fuel valve.

Any thoughts?

thanks!
Billy

Login or Register to Remove Ads