Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
tzettler87

upgrading bikes? m50, warrior

I don't have much experience with big bikes as my gz250 is my first bike. I was curious what exactly makes a large displacement bike dangerous to new riders? Is it the power? the weight? I'm hoping to get a new bike towards the end of this summer that I can tour on, (maybe 6 hours in the saddle per day max) but at the same time is not cumbersome to drive around town two up. I'm interested in the m50 but some forums act like it wont handle a long day of two up riding. I'm not sure if that is due to it over working the engine or if its just uncomfortable to ride for several hours.

I also like the yamaha warrior. Mostly I like that it has plenty of power to do anything I need it to do. This being said, is this two much power for a second bike (when the first was the gz250) or do people not recommend large bikes like that cause they are hard to learn what I have and am currently learning from my gz. I'm not so much concerned with gas mileage or fuel range since main concern is trying to get a bike with plenty of power that is light as possible (excluding sport bikes- not particularly interested.)

I've also heard that lighter bikes are more nimble and I love that about the gz. It's so manageable cause it weighs almost nothing in comparison to a big bike. This makes me think I should probably get the smallest bike possible that will do the job. All this being said, I guess what I really wanna know is:

1. What makes a large bike dangerous to new riders? If you already have the skills required to operate a bike is it significantly less dangerous?

2. Does anyone know if a m50 would make a good around town but also two up (65-75mph) bike that isn't to cumbersome around town?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: upgrading bikes? m50, warrior

Got a question for you first. How long have you been riding ? Have you had any rider training to give you good habits and to prevent bad habits ?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
tzettler87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Got a question for you first. How long have you been riding ? Have you had any rider training to give you good habits and to prevent bad habits ?
I got my bike back in November and have ridden at least every other week over the winter and several times a week these last few weeks since it has been nice out. I don't yet however I plan to take the MSF course in a few months partially cause i think it would be beneficial and partially cause it is a better way to get your motorcycle endorsement them just taking the test at the bmv.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

You asked for opinions and here is mine now. You don't need to upgrade for quite a while. You still don't know what the GZ can do for you. Do get into a rider training course as soon as possible. Also pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Read it cover to cover and keep it for a riding reference. Develop your riding skills on the GZ and train your reflexes until everything on the bike is a natural feeling and reaction.
Consider an upgrade at the end of the season MAYBE. Don't be in a hurry to go big. Bigger is not always better and can hurt you if you aren't ready.
The M-50 would be an excellant upgrade when it is time. We have one here and it is a good bike with enough get up and go to do the job. A nicer midsize touring bike would be the C-50 but still manageable around town. I almost bought one last summer myself. A good bang for your buck overall.
Looked up the Warrior. That thing is a monster. I rode a MT 01 Yamaha with the same engine. Too big and vibrated way too much for my liking. Besides having an engine 2 times the size of the M-50 the Warrior is also in a far higher price range. More than 2 times the M-50.
Don't mean to sound harsh in any way but that's the way I see it.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
tzettler87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You asked for opinions and here is mine now. You don't need to upgrade for quite a while. You still don't know what the GZ can do for you. Do get into a rider training course as soon as possible. Also pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Read it cover to cover and keep it for a riding reference. Develop your riding skills on the GZ and train your reflexes until everything on the bike is a natural feeling and reaction.
Consider an upgrade at the end of the season MAYBE. Don't be in a hurry to go big. Bigger is not always better and can hurt you if you aren't ready.
The M-50 would be an excellant upgrade when it is time. We have one here and it is a good bike with enough get up and go to do the job. A nicer midsize touring bike would be the C-50 but still manageable around town. I almost bought one last summer myself. A good bang for your buck overall.
Looked up the Warrior. That thing is a monster. I rode a MT 01 Yamaha with the same engine. Too big and vibrated way too much for my liking. Besides having an engine 2 times the size of the M-50 the Warrior is also in a far higher price range. More than 2 times the M-50.
Don't mean to sound harsh in any way but that's the way I see it.

Thanks for your opinion! I'll have to look up that book. As far as rushing to upgrade, that isn't the case. I love everything about the gz other than the fact that it truly isn't much good above 55 or 60. two up riding is of no concern right now since I can't do it with my temps anyway. I was just curious why people warned new riders of big displacement bikes. I wasn't sure if it was cause the weight causes them to drop them or not be able to control them or if the power gets the rider into trouble. Or if it was cause the heavy weight makes it hard to learn slow speed maneuvering.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

I think you have answered your own question. All of the above. Starting out with too large a bike is a sure fire way to be intimidated by a machine. A larger heavy bike will zap your confidence and you will never or rarely be at ease with the beast. The GZ is really an underwhelming bike that is very forgiving to a newer rider. Once you get a handle on it's capabilities you will be surprised how well it will haul you around without letting you get in over your head.
Lynda rode her GZ from the summer of 2006 til the spring of 2009. She started a search for an upgrade after riding half way across Canada and back. Her one comment after getting the M-50 was she was glad the GZ was her first bike. Was she sad to sell the GZ ? Yes. Was she glad to get the M ? Absolutely. The GZ was the bike to prepare her to go bigger when the time came.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
davidc83

I had a gz250 and bought a C50 after 10 months. However, in those few months, I rode the gz250 11,000+ miles, including a 1100 mile bike trip and a 2500 mile bike trip (long distance riding on the small bikes is possible). I bought the C50 mainly due to the fact I ride mostly interstate (to work and bike rallies) and like to ride at 75-80 mph. The power and weight is the main difference between the 2 bikes (the C50 is nimble for its fat size).
If you are going to ride 2-up, here in the states you are required to have a motorcycle endorsment on your license. Permits do not allow 2-up and could cost you a hefty ticket, especially the way states are doing motorcycle only check points now.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #8
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

The GZ was my first bike ... I owned it exactly 5 months and went and got a 750cc Shadow Spirit. I had no trouble hopping out of the GZ and into a 500lb 750cc bike. It was more stable, rode smoother, shift smoother, more power and easier to ride at higher speeds. The day i got it, i rode it home 25 miles. Best. Day. Ever.

I honestly think its up to the individual if they are ready to move up. I was leery at first, but I am so glad I said fuck it and went for it. I would have been unhappy with anything less than what i got.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
blaine

When I was ready To move up I went looking for a used Vulcan 500.While I was Looking,I came across this 1990 EN450 (454 LTD).I fell in love with it instantly.This was the last year of this model,and was replaced by the Vulcan.I loved the fact that it had belt drive,alloy rims, and a performance proven engine.I don't recommend you by a bike this old unless you enjoy "wrenching" and spending many hours restoring a older bike.
:cool: :2tup:

Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
davidc83

Dupo, When I bought the C50, I rode 150 miles to get it home :-). Found a sweet deal on it on the other side of the state.