Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
supersquid

Highway riding on a GZ250

The original reason I wanted to ride was to be able to hit the highways. I got a GZ250 because it was cheap, had good reviews, and was a great starter bike, but now that I have enough experience and skill to own the highways I'm worried my bike can't keep up. It's a totally stock 2001 GZ250 (except a dent on the tank and some scratches where I laid it down in the rain). How fast can I cruse on the highway without jeopardizing the bike? What mods would be easy and worthwhile so it'd be a little better of a highway eating machine? The kid I bought it from said he never really rode on the highway so I don't have any advise specific to a GZ250 yet and the guy at the dealer was useless. Any advise from y'all?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
Gz Rider

Re: Highway riding on a GZ250

Old 09-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

An indicated 60 mph on the speedo is pretty much the sweet spot for the engine. That would be on flat ground and no big headwinds. The GZ is what it is. Learn to appreciate the bike for what it is. Ridden within it'e capabilities it will take you anywhere that does not require high speed travel to keep from being run over. Stay off freeways and such. Do your wandering on secondary highways with less traffic and lower speed limits. Ride Safe Ride Smart.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
5th_bike

Yes I third that. Sorry, there are no easy mods that make it a highway eating machine.

I stay away from the highway, and restrict myself to roads where the maximum posted speed is 50 mph.

It quite easily gets to 60 mph, above that it's all a matter of time, slope, and wind.

Like WW said, it is was it is, and if you're not happy with it, getting another bike is much easier than modding it to squeeze another HP or two out.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 AM   #5
supersquid

Okay, thanks guys.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Viirin

16 tooth sprocket would help you get higher top speeds but it would make the bike more gutless than it already is - what little torque there is in 5th gear with a 15 tooth (stock) sprocket is almost completely lost with the 16 tooth upgrade - it's kind of dependent on how big you are and if there's a head wind or not - i don't do much time on the motorway (Ireland) so i kept my 15 tooth sprocket but a lot of the guys on here changed them out for the 16 tooth ones - as far as i know they were all pretty much happy with the results of the upgrade - might be cheaper than buying a bigger bike if the highway stretch isn't too long

Vii
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
supersquid

I've heard a ton of people complain about the little 250 being gutless, but I drive my truck like a grandma so I inevitably drive my bike fairly conservatively and don't mind the lack of power. I worry about doing engine damage riding at 65 for a few hours. I want to get out and do some long distance stuff but I'm concerned about stressing the bike too much if I ride for too long too fast. I sorta want to know how far y'all have pushed your machines. But the 16 tooth sprocket sounds like a definite investment in the near future if I can find one
Old 10-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Gz Rider

Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I did two long road trips on the GZ back in 2006 and 2007. One was from Dalton to Franklin, GA. which is a 3 hour trip.
The other was from Dalton, GA to Dalhonega and then into Gatlinburgh. I don't remember how long it took, but it was a good haul.

Both trips were planned using larger highways, although no interstates, and some faster backroads. We maintained speeds in excess of 65 for the majority of our travels and had a great time. There were two of us on both of these trips and we both rode GZ 250s.

If the bike is in a good state of tune, it can handle it. These things aren't so fragile that you have to putt around at 45 mph all day. I wouldn't jump on I-75 and goose it at 80 for 6 hours straight. But I also wouldn't fear an arbitrary speed-limited number.

Franklin, GA meet pics:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=558&hilit=Franklin%2C+GA.+meet

Old 10-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider

You can easily beat most cars off the line but this bike will not out accelerate other bikes (except maybe a scooter).
On the aforementioned road trip, I paced a Harley Sportster up to about 58 mph. He was kind of surprised and then had to run off and leave us after 65 with his loud pipes making my ear drums bleed. :neener:

But yeah, it's not the world's fastest bike off the line. But it's no slouch.