Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #41
Water Warrior 2

Re: Compression Test

Sometimes it is better to have a tool and not need it than need it and not have it. I bought a real nice half inch torque wrench in 1995 and haven't used it yet. Yup, that was back when I was ambitious about getting my hands dirty.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #42
Way

Well I got the adapter in yesterday. Not much to it, about 3/4 the length of my pinky.

Took the bike out for a 15 mile ride, nice windy, hilly road that I hadn't been on for about 8 years. That should have warmed it up nicely. Put the tester in and got 145 psi which is at the bottom of the range. Valves still sound a bit noisy, motor has a little over 8000 miles on it.

I've adjusted the valves but one of the adjusters on the exhaust side is getting a little short. I'm wondering if perhaps I should plan on doing some head work this winter, like getting some new valves, lapping etc? I forgot to do the wet test by putting some oil in the spark plug hole, guess I should do that too. I didn't see that mentioned in the manual though. I've got the bike in a friend's shed about 10 miles away so it'll have to wait till Monday I guess. :roll:
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
Water Warrior 2

A dry compression test of 145 psi should be a fair indication of ring and valves sealing. A wet test will no doubt look even better. Your bike really hasn't that many miles on it to start worrying about taking it apart. The valves themselves should be a little noisy. When they stop making noise is when you start looking for a problem. Personally I would just ride it and enjoy the fall weather before it goes away.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #44
Way

It's definitely been beautiful riding. I really enjoy it but it just seems the motor is louder than it used to be as I noted in the original post. I notice that people's heads turn as I approach and pass. Now it may be that they are turning because they are spellbound by the beautiful intermingling of man and machine but as likely as that may be, I can't help but think it's because of the noise. I am aiming to do this as a winter project once it's time to put away for winter.

I want to try to get an audio posted of the engine running, I just need to get my camera outfit together.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #45
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
It's definitely been beautiful riding. I really enjoy it but it just seems the motor is louder than it used to be as I noted in the original post. I notice that people's heads turn as I approach and pass. Now it may be that they are turning because they are spellbound by the beautiful intermingling of man and machine but as likely as that may be, I can't help but think it's because of the noise. I am aiming to do this as a winter project once it's time to put away for winter.

I want to try to get an audio posted of the engine running, I just need to get my camera outfit together.
It's that loud !! Ouch.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #46
Way

I'm really hoping it's my good looks, wit and charm that's attracting all the looks. :cool:

I'll try to get the audio tomorrow... :whistle:
Old 09-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
Way

Well I got an audio but I used a cheapo cell phone to do it with. I'm not entirely satisfied with the sound quality as it sounds awfully "tinny". I've gone in and adjusted the valves before this and it being that I got 145 psi on the compression, I'm guessing they're not horribly out of adjustment but then I'm no expert. It certainly doesn't sound like they are. I will dig out my camera and get better audio tomorrow. I had my hand over the camera part as I was pointing the mic at the bike so all you're seeing is the palm of my hand. Anyway here's a sample:

Old 10-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #48
Way

I guess the sound quality will have to do for now, still having computer issues along with not being totally familiar with the camera settings. Images will transfer but not the sound only recordings. :??:

So, any opinions on what you can hear in the audio posted? The valves are loud, maybe I'm not locking them down tight enough? How would I know for sure I need to rebuild the head?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #49
Way

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #50
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
Been waiting for opinions myself. That does sound kinda ugly though. What I hear is the noise seems to be twice the number of engine RPM. I can only suggest taking the bike to a decent shop and having a professional put his ear to the problem.
You may want to recheck the valves first to eliminate that possibility and then make a decision.