Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
DR Roberts

New rider about to buy '00 gz250

Hello,

I am new to riding and have never used a forum like this so sorry in advance for any breach in etiquette.
A little background...
I got the riding bug last summer for no reason that I can explain. I think it started while trying to find an economical way to make my 2.5 mile commute to to work and next thing I know I'm researching motorcycles/ownership/etc... I'm not a speed guy, or motorhead per se though I do like doing minor mechanical maintenance on my truck. I got myself a good helmet and took the MSF Basic rider course last fall and LOVED it! I took to riding right away, the process felt very natural and once I understood the controls, I had that "click" moment that gave me confidence to feel the bike respond to what I wanted it to do, it was awesome! My instructors were very helpful, encouraging and careful to instill a healthy respect for the dangers inherent in riding. I am ready to start practicing and developing my skills knowing full well I am an inexperienced rider.
So, the bike...
I want a 250, I've tried the nighthawk and the rebel. I've seen a handful of used bikes for $2,000+ with 5,000+ miles, some seem promising. I have a relative that used to ride and has this gz250 she doesn't want anymore. It is a 2000 with less than 1,000 miles on it. She is the second owner, bought it from a dealer, and decided riding is not for her. From what she can tell me, the bike was in top shape when she stopped riding five years ago. It has been garaged since then and the details about the pre-storage prep are sketchy, so I'm assuming the worst. I'm aware of the problems with improper long term storage(fuel system,battery,dry rot,rust,etc..). She wants $500 for the bike. I don't think the low price is because of perceived poor condition, I think it's more because we're family and she wants it out of the garage and into a good home. Regardless, I'm expecting to spend money to get it running/riding safe and considering the low price, I'll still have $ in the budget for any work needed, I think. I haven't seen the bike yet(it's a two-hour drive away).
I'm going to check it out next week to get a better idea of what I'm getting into and want to know what to look for. It wont start(supposedly new battery) so who knows. My plan so far is if I go ahead to just trailer it to a mechanic to get it where it needs to be mechanically and then maintain it from there myself (I will be getting the repair manual).
So, the questions...
What should I look for when I see it? What should I look for/ask in a mechanic? What should I expect to have to fix? I am worried about being taken advantage of at a repair shop being a beginner, I won't know what is B.S. or not or what it should cost. I don't want anything important overlooked. I'm willing to spend the money to get it right but I don't want to be fleeced either. Is it worth it, or should I just look for something in better condition? I like the idea of buying from family, and the fact that it has such low miles. I know the resale on these bikes is really good so I'm thinking if I don't like it I could probably get back anything I put into it back in the future. I'm so glad I found this forum and I really could use some honest advice and insight. I'm excited to start riding but I really want to be safe. I don't want to worry about the safety of my bike while I'm learning to ride. Can anyone out there help me? I don't know anyone out here well enough to ask yet so anything will help. I'm also not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, so if you red this, let me know. Thanks again and looking forward to hearing back soon!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
alantf

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid of, what to you, may sound like silly questions. We all had to start somewhere, and we're here to help.

Now.... as to what to look for.... A new battery will be a certainty. If it's stood for five years without charging, it'll be dead, dead, dead! If it's been in one place for all that time, the tyres may well be out of shape, and need replacing. The fuel in the tank may have gone bad (change it, anyway), and there may be rust in the tank. The carb is the Achilles heel of the GZ (we always advise using a carb cleaner in the tank every three or four fillups) so the carb may need stripping and cleaning. You'll certainly need an oil and filter change, and a chain clean and lube. A valve check and adjustment is to be recommended. If all the above needs doing, I reckon on about $500 for the shop to do it. One more thing has just occurred to me. When you get the new battery, buy a battery tender at the same time. The battery needs charging at no more than 2 amps for around 10 hours, before you use it. No matter what the salesman says, we know from experience that if you don't charge it, it'll not last very long before you have to buy another. I think I've covered everything, but if I haven't, I'm sure someone'll come along and fill in the gaps.

Something else I've just thought of . I've been riding for fifty years, and I won't ride without crash bars (what the Americans call engine guards). Everyone goes down at some time in their riding career, and the last thing you want is a leg trapped between the road and a heavy, hot, engine. Last time I went down, the bars got bent, but my leg survived intact.

Well.... Good luck with you bike, and if there's anything else, just ask.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
DR Roberts

Thank you, thank you! It sounds like it is possible to bring this bike back to life and stay in my budget! I think you're right about the crash bars too, I don't like the way they look but I like my legs intact more... I'll be sure to post about my journey!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
blaine

Welcome to the family.......Your gonna like it here!!!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:38 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Welcome DR. You will love the forgiving nature of the GZ and the ease of ownership after you give it some much needed TLC. Alantf has the right idea concerning the proper restoration/maintenance.

Before I forget............pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It is one of the best sources of riding info for new and older riders. After years of riding I was amazed at how much I didn't know after the first few chapters.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:34 PM   #6
gz250dude

You will love the GZ250, had mine two weeks now and its great. I've much bigger and faster scooters and still own 1 but I wanted to learn to shift / ride a motorcycle. This bike is so easy to ride and is very forgiving.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
chromedome195

Welcome and Enjoy!

1999 GZ250.
1990 Vulcan 500
2004 VStar 650
2006 Boulevard C50 (wife's)
2008 Boulevard C50
Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Um, buy this bike!

$500 for a bike with less than 1,000 miles is just amazing. I'll wager that all you'll all to do to get her running again is regular post-winter maintenance and make a little tinkering with the carb to clean out old varnish.

You've got yourself a very good deal.

EDIT: This bike is barely broken in it's been sitting for 5 years. Make sure you change the oil and ride it too hard once you get it running until the head gets good and lubricated. I would go ahead and do a valve inspection before you ever turn it over to make sure everything up there is within spec. You're essentially going to perform the "first service inspection" as you prep it for Spring.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #9
alantf

Whoops! Typo! I think you mean DON'T ride it too hard.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #10
DR Roberts

Sweet! I was afraid the deal sounded too good to be true, you know? But I really think it's a worthy project for a beginner bike...thanks for the reassurance! Also, ordered a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" today-thanks for the tips!

Tags
new rider, repairs, storage