Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
mynameistrey

smoking pipes

okay so I've had the bike for a couple of months now. Ive done some trouble shooting and i've changed the valve cover gasket because of a leak. and I found out the oil plate had been cracked, so i had that replaced. It had been dripping oil on to the exhaust underneath causing it to smoke. I had to unbolt the exhaust and move it to the side to get at one of the three bolts holding in the plate. So i finally cranked it back up today to see if these 2 repairs had worked. And it doesnt look to be dripping at all anymore. But the exhaust is still smoking in that spot. I dont know if maybe while moving the exhaust I might have loosened the joint in the middle. Here are some pictures

this is when i first got it.

then i got a new plug

finally got the plate off today because one of the pipes was blocking one of the bolts

so this is from tonight when i cranked it up finally. its been sitting with no oil in it since i put the gasket in for about a week now. sorry for the crappy night pix

As i said it seems to be smoking in that spot still where that joint is, i dont know if maybe i loosened it because it did loosen that big bolt there thinking it held the exhaust in place. I'm pretty new at this stuff as this is my first motorcycle. I havent been able to ride it very much, or for long distances without it leaking. So I've been trying to get it all fixed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
5th_bike

Re: smoking pipes

That's probably just some old oil that's still burning off, it should get less and less - you repair looks good.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
mynameistrey

i think youre right. I'll have to be sure in the morning. It seems to still be smoking around where the left header goes into the engine. Ive been using oil treatment and a lot of seafoam would this cause it to smoke in some areas?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Nice work man. Glad you got it all sorted out.
And thanks for the pictures. People love pictures.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
GZ250

when there is an oil burning issue (smoke) the best thing is to wash the area using the car washing detergents and clean it up good. if there is already oil burnt on some area (gooey that is sticky also) use kerosene oil with bruch to clean the oil and then wash. That will give you and clean slate to start with.

in the picture the joint is not marked. are you talking about the one that is closer. start he bike and when its hot see of the smoke is like fumes like a drop of oil burns on a hot plate then probably it is old oil but it should not last very long. Just as you start the bike (when the exhaust is not hot) rev up the engine and bring your hand close to the joint and try to feel any air around the joint.

GZ does not smoke and you should not SEE smoke from that part of joint just FEEL it, OR you piston and rings are bad.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
mynameistrey

Soooo, i cranked it up yesterday and it ran great! Tightened the 2 bolts at the exhaust head and no smoke no oil! I'm super pumped all my fixes worked. Thanks for the help, i guess i just freaked out a little early. Was able to take it for a longer ride today, was able to stay past 50 mph for a long period of time, stopped and hopped off and everything look great. Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
mynameistrey

It does feel a little jerky when i try to cruise at a certain speed, around 25mph is where i feel it the most. Is that carburetor related? Theres also a hole drilled into the top of my air box, could that be the problem?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistrey
It does feel a little jerky when i try to cruise at a certain speed, around 25mph is where i feel it the most. Is that carburetor related? Theres also a hole drilled into the top of my air box, could that be the problem?
Did the bike sit unused for an extended period of time ? Is there fresh gas in the tank ? You might just have some residual bad fuel. Look down inside the fuel tank and check for rust. If you see cloudy brown thats rust sediment thats most likely getting into your carb. Sounds like a debris clogged carb, very common issue.
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
mynameistrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistrey
Did the bike sit unused for an extended period of time ? Is there fresh gas in the tank ? You might just have some residual bad fuel. Look down inside the fuel tank and check for rust. If you see cloudy brown thats rust sediment thats most likely getting into your carb. Sounds like a debris clogged carb, very common issue.
I also installed an inline fuel filter. That wouldn't stop that kind of debris?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
alantf

Has it stopped enough to partially block it?