Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Canuck

What to do when a bolt/stud and nut are spinning in harmony.

Hey guys

Been awhile since i posted here, and have been having a great spring/summer on the GZ across BC with no problems. and have surpassed the 50,000 kms mark!

I went over the bikes bolts and nuts and when i came between the top engine block and the bottom engine block i noticed a bit of black stuff seemingly coming from a bolt/nut that keeps the main gasket tight on the front.

this nut is 1 out of 6 bolt/nuts that seem to keep the 2 blocks together... there are 2 "spaces on the front and back midway between the top and bottom block and the one im speaking of is located in the front .

when i try to turn the nut to get it secure and torqued the bolt spins with it once it reaches a certain level of tightness

What am i to do ?

My thought was this...

Get the highest grade thread lock.... see if i can take the nut itself off and then use needle nose pliers to see if i can turn the bolt and get it to come out... hit it with threadlock and turn it back into the engine block... THEN see if i can turn the nut on, get it secure without having the bolt turn as well ...

Im wondering if i have broken the bolt on a previous attempt at tightening the bolt/nut or if i have somehow reversed the bolt from its position and just have to find away to turn it back without stripping the threads....

if this doesnt work i have the feelingthe GZ wouldnt pass a compression test because not allowing the bolt/nut to tighten to specified torque would leave a spot of concern on the front of the engine. However currently it has no problems performance wise.. im just thinking safety and prevention just in case something does happen...

know what i mean ?

thanks guys !

Login or Register to Remove Ads