Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Way

Bigger Headlights

I was wondering if anyone has tried installing a bigger headlight?

Not my bike but same year/color. Seems like it would look good with a bigger headlight but I'm not sure how easy this would be to do. I have the GIMP photoshop-like program but have no idea how to use it to make the light bigger. :retard:

I also think a rectangular one would look good but from what I've read, these don't have the same usable output as the round ones.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Bigger Headlights

Don't think so. The GZ is electrically challenged so most people that have messed with the headlight have used brighter or more efficient bulbs. There's not a lot of amps to spare the way the thing is designed, so be careful about adding to the load. I suppose a physically larger fixture would not necessarily use more juice, but, you would likely be adding both weight and wind resistance and, well the GZ is speed challenged, too, and neither of those is going to improve that either.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Strelok

Bigger Headlights

The biggest problem is while Aftermarket Headlights are available
they are lacking the storage capacity behind the GZ's Headlight
where all of it's wiring and related stuff are stashed there.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Don't think so. The GZ is electrically challenged so most people that have messed with the headlight have used brighter or more efficient bulbs. There's not a lot of amps to spare the way the thing is designed, so be careful about adding to the load. I suppose a physically larger fixture would not necessarily use more juice, but, you would likely be adding both weight and wind resistance and, well the GZ is speed challenged, too, and neither of those is going to improve that either.
Thanks Alan, I'll have to keep that in mind. My speed range is in the 55-60 mph area, not much more. Not too many interstates I want to ride on, mostly secondary roads. I'll definitely have to look at the load though. I was thinking more for looks as far as the headlight size.

I'm waiting on an HID auction. One of the HID kits for the GZ says it gives HID for the low, halogen for the high. I asked about HID for the high and was told I need something called an H4 slider whatever that is, but that it would give me HID on both high and low. But I'm still waiting for the auction to be posted.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok
The biggest problem is while Aftermarket Headlights are available
they are lacking the storage capacity behind the GZ's Headlight
where all of it's wiring and related stuff are stashed there.

Wow, I would not have thought that in a million years. That would be the deal breaker right there. This is something I will have to check in a store if I can find one nearby relatively. Thanks Strelok!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Way

Well just for laughs a kind person on another forum photoshopped a bigger headlight for me. You kind of have to look close as they're only an inch bigger but I do think the looks are improved. But without seeing it in person and confirming enough clearance for the wiring, I don't think I'd go to all the trouble.