Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Suzukigurletoo

Starting All Over Again

Hey Out There!

Help me! I learned to ride last June; got pretty good on turns, not stalling, cornering, riding in traffic and not being toooo rattled (stayed alot in the right lane) EVEN had to pick the bike up once (thought the kickstand was down and it wasn't). I'm a 110 pound girl so I thought that particular feat was GREAT!

Now what is my problem???? I haven't ridden since November of last year and I'm nervous/scared a little bit. We tried to "push start" the bike with me on it last Friday, no such luck - so I'm charging the battery while we speak BUT the secret is that I haven't TOLD ANYONE that I'm so nervous - I'm afraid that I have forgotten all that I learned and it's worrying me. Before my Suzuki I had a scooter (been riding it since 2006).

So there - that's my dilemma - I'm pretty darned nervous. A co-worker and her husband went down here in Chicago a few weeks ago and I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I LOVE MY BIKE THOUGH! Any thoughts on getting my "groove" back?

Happy Trails!

Suzukigurletoo!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Starting All Over Again

Baby steps, gurle. If you have a parking lot very close to your place, you can go there and work through different drills and get the feel back agian. Or maybe in the sreet where you live if traffic isn't an issue. Take it slow and easy and you'll be back to where you were faster than you thought. You can do it!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukigurletoo
I haven't ridden since November of last year and I'm nervous/scared a little bit.
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Been riding for ~40 years and every spring I hop on the bike and whiz out of the driveway only to realize that feet, brakes, clutch and throttle didn't come back to me instantly like I think they should.

The good news is that it all DOES come back after just a day or two. Honest it does. :cool:

You could ride to Kankakee and meet me for lunch some day; after that much practice you should be right back in the groove again!! :roll: :crackup

P.S. When trying to start the bike, did you put the fuel switch (petcock) in the PRIme position for a few minutes before cranking it over......and did you use the choke ??

Old 07-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Suzukigurletoo

Yep I used the choke, "prime" position? That's the "on" position right? The fuel reserve on the side of the bike right? Yes I had it on.

The longest I've ridden is from Lakeview to 83rd and South Chicago and THAT WAS IN NOVEMBER! Boy was I cold.

Thanks for the tips though!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
New GZ250

I "highly" recommend the MSF course. (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) It is a great course for beginners and experienced riders alike. Not cheap but you can't put a price on your safety! I took it, got a discount on my insurance plus I really enjoyed the class!

Just do it! :2tup:

Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Suzukigurletoo

Yep I did take the course -- paid about $350 for it. They let me go the FIRST DAY! I dropped the bike TWICE! It was not a good day for me. I was so EXCITED the night before that I didn't sleep so the next morning I was extremely tired and the weather that day was in the 90's. It was brutal - I tell you - taking that walk of shame while the OTHERS watched was humiliating and I almost gave up the riding (BUT I ALREADY HAD BOUGHT THE BIKE - IT WAS AT HOME).

Anyway I was encouraged by co-workers to keep practicing in the Jewel parking lot at night and lo and behold I was eventually able to master turns and everything.

Ah well
Old 07-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
mrlmd1

PRIME is it's own position, there's also ON, and RESERVE.
What ER was trying to say is that if the bike sat for an extended period, there may be no fuel in the carb for the bike to start. If you put it on PRIME for a few minutes, the carb bowl will fill as that position bypasses the valve operated by the engine vacuum when it's running to open up the fuel flow. Put it back on the RUN position after a minute or two and then start the bike, or you'll wet the garage floor with gas constantly dripping out the carb. Don't leave it on PRIME.
And charge up the battery fully before going out again, you don't want it to die away from the house if you stop somewhere.
An owners manual is a wonderful thing. If you don't have one, download it from here and read it, you'll be amazed at what you'll learn, or what you forgot in 8 months. And then go back and retake the MSF course, you won't flunk out again this time, and they should let you retake it as you paid for it already. You wont regret it.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Yep I used the choke, "prime" position? That's the "on" position right? The fuel reserve on the side of the bike right?
NO! The "reserve switch" on the bottom/side of the tank has 3 positions: ON, REServe and PRIme.

The PRIme position is there specifically for starting after a long period of non-use.
Turn it to PRI and leave it there for about 5 minutes BEFORE you try to start it; then put it to ON.

The "long side" of the lever points to the active position.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Yep I did take the course -- paid about $350 for it.
Holy crap!

Where did you sign up for the course ??
In Illinois, it is FREE. :shocked:
Because of that, there is usually a waiting list but well worth the wait.....especially given your history.
Have a look here:

http://www.dot.state.il.us/cycle2.html
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

I recommend going back to the Jewel lot until your jitters subside. I get the same way, but it's mostly in your (our) head. Although you want to be alert while riding, I don't think you don't want to be overthinking every shift, lean and turn.

I think it takes a lot of work and practice to become an expert motorcycle rider, but it's not that hard to become a competent and safe operator. The GZ is a pretty forgiving bike. You might have even noticed a few in your course before they kicked you out. (That is rough!)

Wear your protective gear! Relax and take it slow. Start out with the "duckwalk." Work your way up to first and second gear. You'll be fine. Find a place with no light poles, parked cars or other fixed objects. I found middle school parking lots after 11pm to be a good place to practice.

And, although I have generally not been an MSF fan, I agree it would be a good idea for you. Don't they have to take you back for another try?