Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

View Poll Results: Worth it to trick out this bike like crazy?
Nah, just get a Harley, or a better bike and do it to that one! 1 20.00%
Hell yea! Ive never see a 250cc to 346cc custom conversion that would turn so many heads and still get 65Mpg! 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #31
music man

Re: Convert your GZ250 into a 346cc!!!

Another Problem with the Boring out the GZ's cylinder to make it a 300cc is the same problem you have on a car engine only its gonna be magnified on The GZ because it is strictly air cooled, It is probably gonna overheat like hell every time you ride it.

I had a Chevy truck with a little straight six in it that I decided to be different and bore out and put a different cam in and all that, because I had never seen one done that way, it ran hot every time I drove it, and I couldnt take back what I did to it without alot more expense, so I ended up junking the engine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #32
Sarris

If you machined the case to accept the 350cc cylinder, then the new cylinder should be finned correctly for the displacement. I would be surprised if the GeeZer cylinder has enough meat to take it out a 350cc.

IMHO, I think y'all are jerkin off. Just buy a bigger bike. Find a nice older 350 and put some $$ into it. A nice Honda 350 Four.............

:jo: :jo: :jo: :jo:
Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #33
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
If you machined the case to accept the 350cc cylinder, then the new cylinder should be finned correctly for the displacement. I would be surprised if the GeeZer cylinder has enough meat to take it out a 350cc.

IMHO, I think y'all are jerkin off. Just buy a bigger bike. Find a nice older 350 and put some $$ into it. A nice Honda 350 Four.............

:jo: :jo: :jo: :jo:

When you find one Sarris you let me know :rawk:

Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 AM   #34
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

.....I honestly can't believe that this is still being discussed.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #35
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
.....I honestly can't believe that this is still being discussed.
I know! I mean, I just can't understand why someone would be talking about trying to make something that falls in between a 250 and a 600+ since there is NOTHING that exists in the category. I mean come on people! strap on a pair and go get a 600lb+ 650cc already! :neener:

Who knows maybe somebody will come up with something that is cost effective. I doubt it though. Although "cost effective" is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #36
Sarris

V-Star 650 Classic. Definately a nifty bike.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #37
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
I mean, I just can't understand why someone would be talking about trying to make something that falls in between a 250 and a 600+ since there is NOTHING that exists in the category.
There are plenty of 500s....

If you were the one looking for a drop-in motor, try ROTAX.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #38
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
I mean, I just can't understand why someone would be talking about trying to make something that falls in between a 250 and a 600+ since there is NOTHING that exists in the category.
There are plenty of 500s....

If you were the one looking for a drop-in motor, try ROTAX.

There are only plenty of 500's if you want to go from a cruiser to a sport bike, as far as I know Kawasaki is the only one who still makes a 500 cruiser.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #39
theneanderthal

Send a message via AIM to theneanderthal Send a message via MSN to theneanderthal Send a message via Yahoo to theneanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhedfred
Thanks guys, these are the things I hadn't discovered yet. I'm still not convinced it's impossible. I've watched experienced motorcycle mechanics put some things together you wouldn't believe could work by swapping parts from all different makes of bikes.

I never meant to imply it would simple, or even easy. It may not be possible. Only the person doing it can decide if it's practical. If I decide to go ahead, I'll be sure for the sake of everyone to document and photograph the important parts.

I have this wierd notion base on magazine tests, rider opinions I've read here and elsewhere that this bike seems to be somewhat over built in terms of tire size, brakes and stability for the little motor it holds. I wouldn't even consider it otherwise.

I had originally considered buying a Yamaha TW200, riding it for a while, then putting a bigger engine together for it. After looking at a couple of them I decided that they're a bit too spindly for much more horsepower or speed. That wide swingarm and light weight had the wheels in my head turning. I guess I'm a hot rodder at heart...I never see things as they are, I see them hopped up, swapped out, modified, whatever. I've been doing it for years......someday I'll probably be trying to trick out my wheelchair in the old folks home.

MHF
I with ya on this. My wheel chair may have a smallblock Chevy. A good friend of mine
built a 426 Hemi into an original Minicooper. Why? Because he could!
:2tup: :2tup: :2tup:
Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #40
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I see no reason to contribute to this thread because:

The original "kit" that was supposed to be a drop-in for the GZ250 would not fit. The "kit" itself did exist and it still does. As mentioned, it is a big bore kit for the Suzuki Dr250. While similar, these engines are not the same. As a result, the thread was dropped and, I thought, it was dead. Jordan came in here with all kinds of claims of modifications that he was going to do, or that he had done, but never gave a single shred of evidence, except for claiming that he could smoke anyone in city traffic and that his "mechanics" had done more work to this bike than any other GZ EVER!!!!!! YEAH!!! The majority of his posts, as substantiated by just reading over them, made very little contribution to the knowledge base of this forum and were almost purely far-out speculation. (Like this BIG BORE kit)

Secondly, unless you have lots of spare motors lying around, which you can butcher to get parts, and have all of the tools necessary for the endless amount of work that you will have to do to gain these "precious" few horsepower and come away with a reliable engine, even then, even after all of that work, money and time, you'll essentially just be left with a slightly faster version of the same exact bike as everyone else.

I can appreciate your obvious knowledge of engine internals and the corresponding math, but this is something that just won't ever be worth the trouble. What we're essentially talking about is, I'd say, a minimum of $1000 (I'd expect much more) for a few MPH on the top end and some more low-end grunt. For the same amount of money, or time, you can get a much more reliable bike, which will outperform anything that you can build (no offense) for less than $1000 more than the cost of a GZ.

Can you build anything you want? Of course you can.
Will it later only be worth a fraction of the time, and money, and sweat that you put into it? Of course it will.
Will it ever be as reliable or as economical as just buying a bigger bike? Of course not.
Will having a highly modified GZ250 be a neat novelty that is worth a look or two before it fades away as an afterthought? Of course it will.
Closed Thread