20-50 miles 4 5.56%
50-100 miles 8 11.11%
100-200 miles 6 8.33%
200 miles + 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
dison001

How many miles before you first whoops?

Ok, I finished the Motorcycle Safety Foundations Safety course Sunday. Passed without a problem. Got my class M. Took the bike out for the first time today for a short little ride on a low traffic road near home. Loads of fun. What do I do? Coming around the final turn to my house, slightly too fast, and off the road I go. I was able to slow good before the bike went down, just lost traction. I wasnt hurt. Broke the front fender. My first whoops . . . 5 miles. Lesson learned . . . take that turn slower.
How many miles before you first whoops. Did the bike go down? Were you hurt? How bad did you mess up your bike?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #2
mainlinecoffee

A dirtbike I fixed up landed on me after I gunned it off a stop sign,thousands of miles on various bikes and I chew pavment In front of a hobo,he asked if I was ok and proceeded to laugh.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:26 AM   #3
hairhouse353

definitely slow a bit before the turn but it sounds like you
Weren't looking where you wanted to go but maybe looking where you "didn't" want to go?
I was on my bike first day for 5 minutes and got thrown off slammed on front brake in a turn!

Old 07-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Always look where you want to go. You will naturally go where you are looking. Your body postion and muscle memory will work for you.
If you look at the side of the road on a curve you will go there. Target fixation will be the enemy and will hurt you.
Having ridden a lot on curving roads has taught me not to let my eyes stray from the direction I want to go. Even on a straight road it is best not to do more than a glance away from the road. Want to see the scenery............stop and take a good look and a pic if you want.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
cokebear

Thumbs Down Well TIFU

I had a car pull out right in front of me (20-30 feet) and low sided the bike. Took a spill didn't hit anything but my wrist is painful and I've got a tibial plateau fracture in my right leg. Now i've got to see an ortho and see just how bad it is.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokebear View Post
I had a car pull out right in front of me (20-30 feet) and low sided the bike. Took a spill didn't hit anything but my wrist is painful and I've got a tibial plateau fracture in my right leg. Now i've got to see an ortho and see just how bad it is.
That's got to hurt a bunch. By all means see all the Docs that you can. Get everything repaired/treated to renew your health. As we get older, Lynda and I have met a lot of medical folks to keep us in good health. After all, we only have one body and it has to last a lifetime.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
cokebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
That's got to hurt a bunch. By all means see all the Docs that you can. Get everything repaired/treated to renew your health. As we get older, Lynda and I have met a lot of medical folks to keep us in good health. After all, we only have one body and it has to last a lifetime.
Yeah also going to contact a lawyer to see if I have a case for covering the medical bills and time off work. I just moved and started a new job so no medical coverage until mid December. Guy was driving a Mercedes so I'm sure he's covered. Hate to go that route because guy felt so bad about it. The problem is no hit so it's not considered an accident, only a traffic incident. Not sure where that leaves me other than in pain and looking for an ortho on the cheap.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Likely a lawyer will be needed to recover losses and proof of fault. An incident may be harder to prove than an accident if the other driver changes his mind about who is at fault. Keep us informed and be patient with the legal/medical system.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
cokebear

Lawyer is taking the case at least. Meeting with their investigator Thursday. The medical system is more of a joke. Can't get to the Ortho referred until the 28th. Only got enough medication from the ER doc to last until today/tonight. Don't think I should have been released until I was looked at by an ortho doctor. I am heading back to the ER to see if there is more they can do for me, even if it is only more medication. My wrist has gotten much worse since the visit and they didn't even look at it that night. It's insane the amount of trouble a 10MPH spill has caused.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Ouch! Be absolutely sure your wrist is taken care of.
Years ago a young friend of mine had an oops on my dirt bike at a lower speed and really really damaged his wrist. He hung on too long and dislocated all the bones in his wrist. Surgery and 11 months off work too boot. 90% of his wrist flexability came back after a lot of work. He was fortunate enough to have health coverage and a sick benefit plan that kept him fed and paid the rent.
Don't sign anything without consulting your lawyer.