Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Faz

Lights Out

BLUF - No indications when key is turned on.

I am the proud new owner of a, previously, very exposed and beach air corroded GZ250. All chrome and non-painted surfaces show corrosion. She now resides in CO, which I am sure will cause it to require all kinds of adjustments to the carb once I finally get it to crank.

THE EPISODE: I charged batt (boxed, never used, yet ordered by prev owner in 2013); turned on key; headlight, neutral light, etc. lit up; pressed start button and....nothing. I did hear a small click coming from the direction of the starter relay, yet preliminary tests seem to indicate that it is bad.

I've never seen anything light up on the bike since "the episode."

ASSUMPTIONS: Every damn electrical connector on the bike needs to be cleaned. Start relay is bad. Battery is bad as it showed ~10.5v shortly after "the episode." Also, when I charge it, it quickly drops to ~10.5v once hooked up. Prob, on top of everything else, a gremlin draining the battery somewhere.

QUESTION: Should I get "dash" indications even if start relay is bad? It would seem to me that I should. Shouldn't I get a neutral light even with ~10.5v on battery assuming my neutral switch is functional?

I've downloaded all manuals provided in the forum; thanks for that! I have a feeling this bike is going to make a spark chaser out of me.

Anyone care to take a guess at the problem? I'm off to get some electrical connector cleaner, a start relay and a new battery.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
blaine

Battery is defiantly bad & did you check main fuse?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
derbydave

Check your main fuse. It is a yellow 20 amp next to the battery. The Fuse holder has a plastic cover that snaps open and hides the fuse. The left side fuse it the main fuse and the right side (if there is one) is a spare. You should have all your lights by just turning on the key

Old 02-18-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
alantf

Over the years we've had LOTS of problems reported, and found them to be caused by faulty batteries.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Faz

It was the battery.

I ended up getting the battery tested; it was bad. So, got that replaced.

Bike started with Fuel Valve in "PRI" with full choke. Runs for a few seconds then dies. Will not start with Fuel Valve in "ON" position or without choke.

I'm thinking a carb cleaning/rebuild is due. Thoughts?

Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

The GZ is a simple bike with few real problems but still needs TLC just like other bikes. You may want to go through the entire fuel system. Clean the tank out. Do the carb as needed. Remove and check the petcock and replace hoses(vacuum and fuel) to the carb and petcock. While you are at it add an inline fuel filter.
Clean all switches and contacts, side stand switch included. The tires are likely junk by now so plan on a replacement for them soonest. I would personally add new tubes too.
Check out the chain for frozen links, wear on sprockets and chain also.
Check out the brake pads up front and brake shoes in the rear while the wheels are off for the new tires. AND be sure to change the brake fluid too.

Make the bike as safe as possible for your riding pleasure and safety.
Oh, just had another item to the list. Change all the bulbs for the signals, brake light, headlight etc. After this many year the bulbs will be less bright and will be unreliable.
Keep us updated on your progress.