Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #1
rcrich68

Question First bike after nearly 20 years

Hi,
After 20 yrs since last owning a bike I have just brought myself 99 Marauder 250. I wanted something I could use to get my confidence back and also down the track my wife could also use it to get her licence.

I have only had a few small rides so far. One issue I am trying to work out is how do you place your feet on the peddles especially the rear brake pedal and peg. I have never ridden a cruiser before, so does anyone have some tips? Do you keep you foot just off the brake pedal? Leave it just on the peg?

I also found when I wore boots I had a bit of trouble getting the boot under the gear lever to shift up gears? Is this common or am I doing something wrong.

It has been 20 years since I have ridden, so it is nearly like starting over again. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Welcome to the forum. As a returning rider you have made a good choice with the GZ to renew your riding skills.

If you take a look at the foot controls you will see that they are adjustable to suit your comfort and pedal control. No you do want your foot resting on the brake pedal. Adjust it down so your foot just stays clear of it. You may also have to adjust the rear brake light switch by simply turning it so the light only comes on when you press the rear brake. It is attached to the rear area of the brake pedal. It is a plastic piece with a spring attached to it.

The shifter can be adjusted to suit your foot by adjusting the shifter rod joining the pedal to the side of the engine case. Loosen the lock nuts and turn the rod. One end is a reverse thread to accomplish this.

You will be much more comfy and gain your confidence sooner if you don't have to fight with ill fitting foot controls.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #3
rcrich68

Thanks for that info, will have a look and adjust them to suit.

Looking forward to getting more time in the saddle on this GZ to get back into riding. I even have my wife and youngest son now talking about learning to ride it as well.

I have been going through some of the forum posts and already picked up some really useful tips.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Razorburns

Hi, and welcome to the Gz family.

I'm a fairly new rider too, having returned like you have after many years away. I'm finding that the Gz is a GREAT motorcycle to learn on and increase you confidence and skill with.

Have a good time and ride safe.

Last edited by Razorburns; 06-26-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to the forum. WW2 took care of your questions regarding the foot control adjustments and the information in the forum should take care of a lot of others that may come up. The GZ is a great bike for you and your family to get back into riding. Enjoy and be safe. Remember also, ATGATT.