Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Wonderful to hear about your progress.Your determination is very inspiring.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #12
burkbuilds

Thanks WW,

I'm making steady, if slow, progress, although my Physical Therapist tells me I'm about 25% ahead of where they thought I'd be at this time. I can stay up in a chair for about 4 hours now before the swelling requires me to elevate the leg, so I can actually roll around in my wheelchair and do stuff for a while now. My pain level is way down and I'm only taking a nerve pain medicine that's not opiate based and it does not make me drowsy or anything so that's a big improvement. No prescription pain meds other than that one now, yea.

My range of motion in the leg is still limited by swelling and to some degree pain when I bend the joints but I'm making progress. I'll go back to Dr the first week in December for more x-rays and evaluations and they should be able to tell me about when I can expect to start putting weight on the leg again at that time.

I've taken up whittling (wood carving with a knife) which is something I've always wanted to try but just never had time. I've done more than I thought I could already so maybe I'll be decent at this after a few years. It's fun and I like making things so this is a relatively cheap hobby that I can do from a chair for now.

I'll attach a pic of my first piece which I carved out of a broken broom handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171113_191937.jpg (101.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

BB, you really amaze me. If it were me I would be sitting here drinking coffee, chain smoking and feeling sorry for myself.

Careful with the knives, you don't want another injury.

Many years ago I received a Swiss Army Knife as a safety award at work. First thing I did was cut myself.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #14
blaine

WTG.....Great to hear of your Progress....One Day at a Time.......The carving is awesome!!!!

Old 11-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
Vegas Street Rider

Nice carving. Looks like Father Christmas has arrived. Wish I was talented in the various art forms but even my stick figure drawings are hard to make out as to what they are. Good therapy for you too. Still praying for your quick healing.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #16
burkbuilds

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. I'm still on the mend but making progress. My son in law brought me his old multi station home gym and I've started working on my upper body while I'm waiting to be allowed to put weight on the leg. I return to the Dr this week and they'll let me know if it's ready for weight bearing or if it needs to grow some more bone.

I'm still doing some carving. I've made a few "wizards" or "father Christmas" if you prefer and yesterday I did my first "little guy" carving. I'll attempt to add the pics.

My wife and I actually went out tonight, first time I've gone anywhere but a Dr's since the wreck. We did some Christmas shopping for the grand kids and had a nice dinner at a local restaurant, just the two of us, then came home and watched some movies on the TV. It was really nice to go out but it was a lot of work for my wife loading and unloading the wheelchair. She's been a trooper through all of this. I think I'll keep her.

I'll keep you posted on my recovery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (85.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (92.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171116_154121.jpg (97.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #17
blaine

Awesome news....Merry Christmas to you & yours!!!

Old 12-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
Vegas Street Rider

Merry Christmas. Sounds like you are doing well which will probably be your best Christmas present this year. Glad you have such a great wife and son to support you. Family is really important. Will continue to pray for your healing.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Healing and getting more mobile is by far the best news of the day.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
burkbuilds

Continuing to make progress with my recovery. Monday the Dr. gave me permission to start putting weight "as tolerated" on my leg. So, I started and have made progress each day. It has been very painful though. My wife asked me Monday night what it felt like as I applied some weight to that leg/foot. "It feels like someone is sticking very sharp knives through every bone in my foot and ankle" was my reply. It took me about 24 hours before I could bend the ankle enough to get my heel to touch the ground and each day I've been able to put a little more weight on it and do more. By today I'm able to use a walker and go up and down our hallway. I still can't put all my weight on it yet but it becomes easier and less painful to put more weight on it each day and to do more, so Yea! Next Wednesday, Dec. 20th, I'm scheduled to get an evaluation by a Dr. of Physical Therapy here in town and then start having sessions twice a week for six weeks.
So, I'm making progress, maybe I'll actually be walking by new years.

Merry Christmas to all of you and stay safe while riding as much as depends on you.

John