Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
Dana_GA

Re: gz250 mileage

Well, I finally ran out of gas last night at 274.9 (See picture) then switched to Reserve and only got about 1 mile before it started sputtering (Thank god, I was right at a gas station, so I whipped it in and filled it up with 3.7 gallons)

Soooo, if I reset the odometer correctly the last time I filled up, which I believe I did, then I got 275 miles out of that tank of gas... 275 divided by 3.7=74.32 MPG...woohoo!!! :2tup:

BTW, This is a 2001 GZ250 if that tank size is different from other years.

I'm going to try this again with the full tank of gas I have now, I DID RESET TO ZERO when I filled it up with 3.7 gallons of Chevron 87 with Techron

BTW, I'm a WOMAN :neener: but I haven't been driving downhill in Neutral, but I haven't been Driving It Like I Stole It either, just normal city driving back and forth to work (30 miles each way)
I paid $800 cash for it - only had 1,490 miles
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
alantf

Switched to reserve, then only got 1 more mile out of it?

This seems to firmly point to the fact that the pipe has come off the petcock (in the tank)

What happens is that inside the tank, the petcock has a pipe (open at the top) When in "run" the bike uses fuel until it drops level with the top of the pipe, when no more fuel can go into the pipe. Switching to "reserve" opens an outlet level with the bottom of the tank, which means that the fuel sitting under the top of the pipe can now flow. So,you can see that it's more of a way to let you know that you're low on fuel. If the pipe come adrift, then you are using all the fuel in the tank before it cuts out. You were lucky to get that extra mile. It seems like it's a common fault with the GZ. It's not a difficult job to repair it. It just means removing the petcock, retrieving the pipe out of the tank, & refitting it. You might want to wait until the tank is nearly empty, then set the petcock to "prime" to empty the tank into a suitable receptacle.

BTW if you want to take the tank off to do the job, again, it's really simple. :2tup:
Old 06-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
Dana_GA

Wow thanks alantf. I was wondering why I only got 1 mile out of the reserve? I've removed the gastank twice already - once to replace the sparkplug, which I later learned I could have done with the gas tank on and the other time to get the carb off so it could be cleaned. Would that have caused the pipe to fall off?
I paid $800 cash for it - only had 1,490 miles
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
It has 3.7 and3.4 on the same page.
And the manual for mine (european) says 13.0 litres, 14.0 litres for Canada. Seems someone in Japan doesn't realise that a litre is the same all over the world. :oops:

We have smaller liters so we can buy more of them at an inflated price. :lol:
Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_GA
I've removed the gastank twice already - Would that have caused the pipe to fall off?
Quite possibly

Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #26
mrlmd1

Your mileage is really good, at the upper end of what everyone else is getting, probably because of your conservative riding habits. which is good. Just use up most of the gas, I would say 200-225 miles, then empty the tank and remove the petcock and fish out the tube that came off and refit it back on.
Search on here for this problem and you'll see what it looks like or use this diagram from the Ron Ayers parts fiche --
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... /FUEL_COCK
If you don't fix that, one of these days you will run out of fuel and be stuck somewhere.
And use your odometer to refuel at every 150-200 miles or so to be safe, just make sure you reset it each time you fill up.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #27
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Your mileage is really good, at the upper end of what everyone else is getting, probably because of your conservative riding habits. which is good. Just use up most of the gas, I would say 200-225 miles, then empty the tank and remove the petcock and fish out the tube that came off and refit it back on.
Search on here for this problem and you'll see what it looks like or use this diagram from the Ron Ayers parts fiche --
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Mod ... /FUEL_COCK
If you don't fix that, one of these days you will run out of fuel and be stuck somewhere.
And use your odometer to refuel at every 150-200 miles or so to be safe, just make sure you reset it each time you fill up.
Wish I'd said that.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #28
JWR

The worst thing is...no filter.

Fix it now to avoid trash problems.

BTDT

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
ncff07

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
The worst thing is...no filter.

Fix it now to avoid trash problems.

BTDT
thought about not having a filter earlier. crossed my mind to put a small in line filter on there.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
ER is wrong on this one (again).
Admitted that my memory failed me on this one......but the point was made anyway.
I am sorry that I am not perfect; never claimed that I was.

AND you and I have been pretty cool lately; the (again) was totally unnecessary and served no useful purpose except to inflame the discussion.

Since I saw no smiley, I then must assume that you are just being a PRICK again. Do you REALLY want to do this again ?????? :skull:

I sure don't.