Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Badbob

Motorcycle Jack Stands

Saved from the Yahoo GZ250 Group. I'm repostiong it here so I can link to it and keep the photos with the text. I sure hope Dusty doesn't mind.

Quote:
Subject: [GZ250] for Garage and Travel
Date: Tue, June 27, 2006 23:20
To: GZ250@yahoogroups.com

Hi Robert,here's info you wanted on the stands. Pictures of the stands with text showing/telling how to make and use are in the Photos section under the title of "Cycle Stands". I didn't have a jack,so when I had to clean, lube and adjust the chain, I walked the cycle forward, worked on the chain, walked the cycle forward, etc. Didn't want to do that very often, so I made two stands out of lumber from the the "odds and ends" bin at Home epot... cost me $1.08 for the lumber. I used a 4 foot piece of 2x8 pine, but that was an overkill on size of lumber. A piece of 1x6 hardwood would probably work if you added a "hook and eye latch" on each side of the vertical piece to the horizontal piece to stabilize it.. a piece of 2x6 pine would work and be lighter than what I used. If you're careful with the cuts shown in the pictures, the vertical and horizontal pieces will fit together tightly and can be slipped together for use in the garage and then pulled apart to store flat in the saddle bags for trips. If the pieces don't fit tightly, you can just slip the pieces together and screw the bottom plate to them for garage use or use the "hook and eye latch" approach so they can be disassembled for travel. The bottom plate is useful for soft ground. Test them before relying on them... better to be safe than sorry. The only important measurements are: the distance from the ground to the bottom of the notch in the top of the vertical piece should be 11 1/2 inches (don't forget to account for the thickness of the bottom plate if you use one); the notch in the top of the vertical piece should be 1/2 inch in and 1/4 inch deep and 1 1/4 inch wide. The cut-outs in the vertical and horizontal pieces are half of the width of whatever size lumber you use. Cutting the shoulders on the pieces keeps the stand from hitting the muffler on the right side and also gives you a little more hand room when working on the chain. The stands give a 1/2 inch clearance for the tire. Using a hand held 7 1/4 inch circular saw and a sabre saw, you can make these in an hour. The stands I built are rock solid steady and could even be used when removing the engine if need be. You don't need anyone to help you position the cycle on the stands. Put the cycle on it's side stand. Go to the right side of the cycle and position a wooden stand so that the notch in the top of the vertical piece is under the swing arm just forward of the chain adjustment slider. Go to the left side of the cycle and tilt the cycle off its side stand so that it is vertical and it's right side swing arm rests on the wooden stand, and use your foot to position the second wooden stand so that it's notch is under the left side swing arm just forward of the chain adjustment slider. You're done. Easy.
Dusty

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Bill

A great post! I've been wondering how to get the bike off the ground. While I have been looking for a lift for the C50 (or making a lift that someone wrote about like you did here) I couldn't find anything appropriote for the GZ250. It's not like you can use a regular commercial made motorcycle lift that you can slide under the frame. This is a great design that could easily be made even with hand tools (hand saw and wood chisel). Your post should be placed so that it will always be visible for new members to access.

Thanks! Cheers!
Old 09-23-2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Yea Bob, the "How To" section that you keep missing :lol:

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 09-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
Yea Bob, the "How To" section that you keep missing :lol:
I can't make up my mind if it goes in how to or general maintenance. It is HowTo make jackstands that you use for general maintence. :??:

We also have a GZ250 General / General that confuses me as well. :??:

Growing pains I guess?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
Badbob

[quote="Bill"]A great post! I've been wondering how to get the bike off the ground. While I have been looking for a lift for the C50 (or making a lift that someone wrote about like you did here) I couldn't find anything appropriote for the GZ250. It's not like you can use a regular commercial made motorcycle lift that you can slide under the frame. This is a great design that could easily be made even with hand tools (hand saw and wood chisel). Your post should be placed so that it will always be visible for new members to access.

You can use a regular motorcycle to jack. I have a Craftsman aluminum jack I use for this. You just need to be real careful about where you lift it. Some of the cheaper ones will not work because they will not go low enough. The next time I have it up on the jack I try to remember to take some pictures.

You can get the rear wheel off the ground by balancing the GZ250 up on the front wheel and the kickstand. While the rear wheel is in the air use your foot or get a helper to slide a block/s of wood. Under the right side of the frame. Some people have used a piece of PVC pipe for this.

You can also use any auto floor jack that will go low enough to get under the frame.

Dupo: Do you think we should make this one sticky? Soon as we figure out where it should go of course.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:59 PM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
I figure a How To is more of a tutorial type thing that someone decides "hey, im going to show everyone how to do this and add some pictures". The Maintenance section i would say is more for question and answer type posts. Hope that helps figure them out from now on....maybe lol.

I'd say the wood stands would be a How To section post. It shows "how to" build something with pics

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
oneyunguy

I made some. Simple if you have tools. I was lucky and hed the right and easy ones, plus the material.

They work alright. Thanks!

Old 10-09-2006, 05:01 AM   #8
Badbob

Very nice!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
BadMojo

I got mine done today with $2.18 worth of scrap wood from Home Depot.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
El Pirata

Made mine yesterday, great design, simple but very effective. Thanks for saving me some cash!!