Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Suuki GW250

Spent an hour or more just cruising the Web for the GW250. Quite an interesting bike for a 250. Cheaper than a new GZ or TU and it's country of origin is the reason. A Chinese made Suzuki is what it is.
Starting with a FI water cooled verticle twin gets my attention and the 26 HP sounds like a blast. Disc brakes on both ends too.
Very popular in China and Japan with the Chinese models having a standard center stand. Also available in Canada, U.S., Australia and the U.K. Probably many more countries too.
Oh yeah, a counter blanced engine with 6 gears in the tranny. Might be a good upgrade when a few hit the used market after newer riders move up to a bigger bike.
My only concern would be the insurance. It is still a 250(248 cc actually) but some ins. companies might want to call it a sport bike due to it's appearance. If displacement is the only criteria then it will be cheap to own. Engine size would be great here as the displacement is the only factor.
After reading a few articles and reviews I would surely put the GW on the short list of smaller more moderm bikes to look at when the time comes.
Google is my friend and entertainment.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
Fawlty

Re: Suuki GW250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Spent an hour or more just cruising the Web for the GW250. Quite an interesting bike for a 250. Cheaper than a new GZ or TU and it's country of origin is the reason. A Chinese made Suzuki is what it is.
Starting with a FI water cooled verticle twin gets my attention and the 26 HP sounds like a blast. Disc brakes on both ends too.
Very popular in China and Japan with the Chinese models having a standard center stand. Also available in Canada, U.S., Australia and the U.K. Probably many more countries too.
Oh yeah, a counter blanced engine with 6 gears in the tranny. Might be a good upgrade when a few hit the used market after newer riders move up to a bigger bike.
My only concern would be the insurance. It is still a 250(248 cc actually) but some ins. companies might want to call it a sport bike due to it's appearance. If displacement is the only criteria then it will be cheap to own. Engine size would be great here as the displacement is the only factor.
After reading a few articles and reviews I would surely put the GW on the short list of smaller more moderm bikes to look at when the time comes.
Is this the Suzuki it is based on WW?

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mot ... 56377.html

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Yes Fawlty, that is the one. The specs and rider reviews mention the overall weigh as approx 400 lbs but it would still not be too intimidating while providing a better ride and planted feeling.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
bwader

That's a really nice looking bike. I wish the GZ had at least a better lit up speedometer and be a 6 speed.

If it was the same style as the GZ I would seriously try to get one. Though 85mpg is hard to beat even on a 150cc or 125cc.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

I doubt the GZ could make enough power to use a 6 speed. The GW has more ponies to play with.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I don't think power is necessarily the issue; it's the gear ratios.

One of the things that I never really understood was why there would be such a large jump on the GZ 5th gear ratio - There is plenty of oomph when you hit 60mph in 4th for example, but the drop off to 5th makes it essentially as far as you can go in that bike. With some varying gear ramps and different cog heights I think a 6 would work just fine in the GZ even at the limited stock power, though it would take some serious R&R to get it right, which would make the whole bike cost more, which doesnt make sense when it's priced to a certain market. In order to be worth more, it would have to produce more....power....

WW is right.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
Ls650thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
WW, is this the first Chinese made Suzuki ? sometimes the smaller bikes are wicked fun and the price maybe the bottom line.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:56 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Not likely the first Chinese made Suzuki and surely not the last. China does make a lot of Japanese knock offs under license for the home market. Honda is one of them.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
CMS

Grin Gw250

Got one, excellent bike for a 250. The weight everyone seems to bring up is not even a factor IMHO. Very smooth and comfortable. Disk brakes all around ,6 speed ,water cooled, FI, desent seat, 3 .4 gal tank, 17 in. tires and mag style wheels, really like this bike,quality is great. I feel it's a great bargin for the price. loved my GZ, but this bike has everything the GZ needed. Added a rear rack and Givi top case [30L] plus center stand [that should be standard eqt. ] and added red rim tape to break up all the black. Black is the only color for the US. All bikes in US are 2013's no 14's were expored here. I really wish Suzuki would change that, they are also avalibale in white, red, and blue in other countries. The US has the naked model but China has an S model with a half fairing and full windshield [2014 model] and I'v seen pictures of a 2015 model with full lower fairings ,looks pretty good [baby GXR]. Not a race bike but still has enough power for me , it is still a 250. MPG so far is in the mid /high 60s and I'v only have 900 miles on it. I have other bikes [VStrom 650 and a TU250X] but the GW get ridden the most. For those who enjoy smaller bikes I feel this is a great choice [price /quality/performance] at least for me. Also does have after market avaliable accessories. CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Right on. How about a comparison to the TU 250?