Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
Lifter

Saddle Bag Durability

Hi Gang,

I have general question regarding my saddle bags.

I bought this bike with the bags already mounted. They look like you average generic entry-level type bags.

I plan to use this bike as a daily commuter and will need to ride in all sorts of different weather.

I have a couple of concerns regarding these bags and water.

1. I'm sure they aren't water-proof and that anything that goes in should be water safe.

2. I'm concerned that as they get wet over and over that they will start to degrade and will be useless.

Can anyone offer me some advise on this?

The bags already have no lock, so im getting limited use out of them and if they are going to get ruined the first season then maybe im better off selling them and getting good sized backpack (i plan on running no sissy bar)

Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160221_153719.jpg (90.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160221_153729.jpg (83.7 KB, 26 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-25-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
alantf

Very much like I've got, and no problems in nine years - however - check that there's a piece of aluminium, or some such, pop rivetted or bolted under the bag, as it looks like it's touching the exhaust, and you need something to stop the heat damaging the bag.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

The bags may not be waterproof but don't toss them out because of that. If you have something in the bags that won't do well when wet just use a plastic bag to store the stuff in the bag. Large zip lock bags are handy dandy items to keep in the saddlebags.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

Thumbs Up

I used SNO SEAL on my bags when I lived on the Washington coast. It keeps the leather supple in all climates and does a pretty good job keeping the water out.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
I used SNO SEAL on my bags when I lived on the Washington coast. It keeps the leather supple in all climates and does a pretty good job keeping the water out.
So what exactly is Sno Seal, where would one find it and do you think it might make boots a bit more water resistant?

Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 AM   #6
alantf

If it's waterproof boots you want, try to get a pair with the IMPRAPERM markings. I believe it's a German company (try googling impraperm) They really do work, and never let any water in.

b31.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b31.jpg (91.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
If it's waterproof boots you want, try to get a pair with the IMPRAPERM markings. I believe it's a German company (try googling impraperm) They really do work, and never let any water in.

b31.jpg
Nice looking boots Alan. But I do have a problem with getting the right fit. I need a size 12 with a 4E width. Yup, that wide. That said, I actually lucked out in 2007 by finding a pair of Alpinestar waterproof boots during my travels in Tenn, U.S. of A. I had all but given up on actual riding boots after searching for a good fit for 2 years. Needless to say I bought them right there and then. Oddly enough they were the only model of Alpinestar that fit me in 2 years of looking. No other boot made by anyone came close.

One boot has developed a very slight leak and I just want to fix that. I did try a spray on coating to stop the leak but it didn't last too long. All I really need is to waterproof what I have in case I get caught in the rain. That said, I plan on being a sunshine rider only but preparation for the unexpected is always a good thing.

The Velcro top fastener started to loose it's grip and I had the local shoe repair fellow add a couple button snaps to solve the problem.

As for everyday shoe wear I hunt down a pair of New Balance shoes. They offer wider shoes that fit but that intails many miles and hours of searching to and fro for a pair in stock to try on. I have fallen arches and also need an arch supports in my shoes so that complicates matters a bit.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #8
Fawlty

In depth review of some waterproof boots here. They are supposed to be 'lower priced'but retail at $295!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-boots-review/

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 02-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Vegas Street Rider

You can usually get SNO SEAL at shoe repair or boot shops. I used it on my Sorel pack boots as well.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawlty View Post
In depth review of some waterproof boots here. They are supposed to be 'lower priced'but retail at $295!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...-boots-review/

Alas, new boots aren't in the budget just yet. As a side note. When I bought my Alpinestars in Tenn they were NOS and cost $99.50 with a couple bucks for tax. The same boot here in Canada was over $300. With a little waterproofing I hope to wear these boots forever.