Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist
Compact first aid kit?

Welp, I'm about to get some saddlebags for the GZ. Problem is, they're significantly smaller than the ones on my bigger bike, so I can't get the same first aid kit I like to stash away in my bags. I browsed around, but a lot of the kits don't include dimensions.

Anyone keep a first aid kit handy on their GZ and, if so, which do you recommend? If you bought it online, a link would be even better!

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
VTXorcist

Re: Compact first aid kit?

And no sooner do I post this than I find one that will probably work. Sorry, but maybe this can help some other folks who need a first aid kit to stash in their saddlebags.

http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/offi ... paign=feed

I'll let you know if I find other promising ones.

EDIT: Looks like that one's only available in bulk. If 39 other GZ riders want to go in with me on them, let me know!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
VTXorcist

Aha, here it is for single orders!

http://www.worldwide-usa.com/staysafe-c ... fp=1060711

It's only $5.30, but it was over 10 bucks for shipping. Might be better off just going to Walmart or something.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
alantf

I don't carry a first aid kit on the bike, but I do in the car. I've found that the best way is to buy a plastic box, then fill it with the stuff I want, not what the manufacturer gives me. For instance, I don't want triangular bandages or industrial size burn dressings, but I do want eye wash, paracetamol, indigestion tablets, individually wrapped wound cleaners etc. I reckon that to get the size & contents that I want is also much cheaper, with not a lot of effort. :2tup:
Old 07-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Years ago I purchased a couple first aid kits from the Red Cross. Very complete and well thought out for the average accident prone cluts. Compact enough to be worn on a belt too. Kinda spendy but nothing worth while is cheap. The one remaining kit lives in my Vstrom.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
burkbuilds

I use the plastic box that "wipes" came in and fill it with my own list of necessities, pretty small, the lid "snaps" shut and basically free after I used the wipes!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
mrlmd1

Make it yourself in a little box or Ziploc bag. It's much cheaper and you get what you need, what you want, without a lot of useless stuff.
You may want an antiseptic to clean a wound, an antibacterial ointment to cover it up, different sized bandaids, some gauze pads, a roll of gauze or "Kling" bandage, an Ace elastic bandage, maybe a small forceps or tweezers for splinters or removing debris. You just need something to cover up and clean a small wound or cut or scrape 'till you can get somewhere else and take better care of it. You're not doing major surgery on the road. And for a major accident with major trauma, whatever you have won't be of much use anyway.
If you're traveling on a long trip, you obviously want to take a supply of whatever meds you are on, enough to last 'till you come home, as you can't always get them in the middle of nowhere, and some pharmacies don't like to fill out of state prescriptions.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Make it yourself in a little box or Ziploc bag. It's much cheaper and you get what you need, what you want, without a lot of useless stuff.
You may want an antiseptic to clean a wound, an antibacterial ointment to cover it up, different sized bandaids, some gauze pads, a roll of gauze or "Kling" bandage, an Ace elastic bandage, maybe a small forceps or tweezers for splinters or removing debris. You just need something to cover up and clean a small wound or cut or scrape 'till you can get somewhere else and take better care of it. You're not doing major surgery on the road. And for a major accident with major trauma, whatever you have won't be of much use anyway.
If you're traveling on a long trip, you obviously want to take a supply of whatever meds you are on, enough to last 'till you come home, as you can't always get them in the middle of nowhere, and some pharmacies don't like to fill out of state prescriptions.
That's EXACTLY what I was trying to put across (above), but the doc's put it across much better than I could!