Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
El Diablo

Careful loading and unloading GZ in Pickup Truck Bed

Had trouble both ways. I needed to take the cycle into the shop for 600 mile service and didn't have anyone to pick me up if I drove it in so decided to take it in my Ford F150. I used the ramp I used to load my 4 wheeler which I have done hundreds of times.

Loading. Tailgate down, ramp attached, riding it up and why am I not going anywhere? At the top of the ramp with front wheel in bed, the angle was too sharp and the frame sat down squarely on the top of the ramp. I wasn't going anywhere. Was able to get off the bike and tie it down with tie downs using hooks at the back of the truck bed. Next I got my floor jack and jacked up the ramp to lessen the angle and was able to then push the bike forward and load it up.

Well, lesson learned, that won't happen to me again. Picked the bike back up today (they have a nice ramp at the dealer). Go home and:

Unloading. This time I unhook the cables attaching the tailgate to the bed so it hangs down at an angle. That ought to do it. Put my ramp on, yep that looks good. Thank goodness I changed out of my loafers and put on some motorcycle boots just prior to unloading. I have in my truck bed one of those mats so that objects don't slide around. The thing is old and had been used for my last three trucks. As I start to back down slowly, I stop at intervals to adjust my feet, just taking it slow and easy. With the back wheel on the ramp and the front still in the bed, I apply the front break and the mat that it is on starts to slide backwards! This has the bike going backwards with me trying hard to keep my feet moving enough to not fall over but stop the bike at the same time. I manage to stop it after a foot slide. I called for my daughter (15 years old) and she came out, and got in the bed to add weight so it won't slide again as I start back down. It did slide another few inches, but I made it down safely from there.

No scratches but a bit stressful. I think I'll use my 4 X 8 trailer from now on if need be.

Wanted to post as a warning to just be careful. :blush:

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Careful loading and unloading GZ in Pickup Truck Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
Wanted to post as a warning to just be careful. :blush:
I think you are extremely lucky.
You violated the first rule of swimming and bike loading: NEVER ever do it alone.

If you absolutely can't find another adult or two to actually help with the loading, you should at least have someone old enough to dial 911 and talk coherently.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
davtnn

I had a similar situation... convinced mr to use the trailer and a bunch of tie downs... much safer and preserves the paint and dignity ...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
finallyinthesaddle

Many, many thanks for the heads up!! :rawk: