Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-15-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
rexolio

Send a message via AIM to rexolio Send a message via Yahoo to rexolio
Child Riding Belt...

Anyone have any thoughts on this or have you tryed it... http://www.riderzragz.com/v2/index.php? ... 9b3c04397c

Just curious...
Owner of 2006 GZ250 since June 2008 - Yup, I'm a newbie!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Child Riding Belt...

Had a discussion recently about a similar device with a friend with three small kids. (Mine are grown.) Bottom line, I don't think that small kids belong on the back of a motorcycle. I'm aware that it's unlikely anyone else gives a crap what I think about it, but you did ask for my thoughts.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I agree with Alan here. Small children and motorcycles don't usually mix very well. Being an effective passenger demands a level of knowledge about the physics of bikes that most children are unable to achieve. A lot of people are incapable of reacting quickly enough to a child's actions while on firm footing in their own homes, much less with the driver's attention being directed at controlling a motorcycle and avoiding the dangers of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I'm aware that it's unlikely anyone else gives a crap what I think about it, but you did ask for my thoughts.
Ditto.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I dont know, ive always been up in the air about kids on bikes. I've taken my kids on my bike several times. Youngest i think any of them were was 6. I told them what to do and they did it well enough in a parking lot that i took them to school a few times.

Where i have the problem is the whole belt theory. Would it be better to have the kid strapped to your back if you go down .... rolling on/over them as you tumble or slide? Or would it be better they be 'on their own' per say. I dont think i could live with myself if i would go down and i killed my kid by rolling over them because they were strapped to me.

There is no way in hell those kids pictured on the bikes are old enough to be on a motorcycle. My kids MUST be able to reach the pegs and have their legs bend somewhat AND be able to hold on to me securely. Those kids are just TOO YOUNG pictured.

I'd say that product should be pushed for snowmobile and ATV types where you can go slow and give a kid a ride, not a motorcycle!!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
rexolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
There is no way in hell those kids pictured on the bikes are old enough to be on a motorcycle. My kids MUST be able to reach the pegs and have their legs bend somewhat AND be able to hold on to me securely. Those kids are just TOO YOUNG pictured.
That was my thought, Dupo... someone was telling me that I should get one of these because my son likes to ride around in the neighborhood sometimes, but not sure I'd be willing to take them out on the major roads. And I'm not sure, as well, if it would be best for them to be strapped to me if something were to happen.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

How old is your son?

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
rexolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
How old is your son?
Only 5... has a helmet and does good riding around 15 - 20 mph in our little neighborhood, but even still, riding him to the pool or the playground in our hood, I was thinking of finding something to be extra sure. It will be a while before I take him anywhere else outside of our neighborhood.