Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 04-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #61
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: My new bike - 1983 Kawasaki KZ550

Well, see, its more about the gearing of the bike than the engine I guess. The bike was definitely geared for the double-nickel era. In 6th gear at 55 MPH it cruises at 4.5k RPM. I took the interstate for the first time today and at 70 MPH the engine was running at 6k RPM. I actually do try to keep the bike at 50-60% redline. When I'm really getting on the throttle I shift at around 7k since I don't want to over rev the engine.

I also kinda want something a bit lower. I can wrangle this one around find, but it would be sooo much easier if it was a bit lower.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #62
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
In 6th gear at 55 MPH it cruises at 4.5k RPM. I took the interstate for the first time today and at 70 MPH the engine was running at 6k RPM.
OK, given that, I agree that an I4, non-touring bike may not be for you. The revs you report are about right for a small 4, even today. If it's a shaft, you're stuck; if it is a chain you could do the sprocket trick like the 16T for the GZ.

I must admit that riding a 550 Honda and a 600 Kawi for about 10 years, I never did get totally comfortable with the "scream" of the high revs. I think I'm gonna be much more comfortable with the little Vtwin.....even with a 4 speed. :cool:

And I did notice a difference in handling too. Both my I4's needed a firm hand but, I think, were more precise. Both the GZ and the VTX seem much easier to handle but end up being a little "sloppy" if you don't pay real close attention when manuvering.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #63
primal

Yea, I'd thought about swapping the front sprocket out, but the accepted swap according to the guys at the KZRiders forum would only yield a 500 RPM drop in cruising RPM.

Oh well. I posted an ad on Craigslist. If I find a buyer, cool, if not, I might be able to scrounge up enough cash this summer for another bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #64
primal

So, I may have spoken too soon yesterday. I was a bit annoyed with the bike and its somewhat iffy performance. However, I think it may have been some bad gas. I filled up yesterday and calculated 41 MPG. After filling up the bike ran quite a bit smoother, and when I filled it up today I calculated 54 MPG, which is where the bike should be. The smoother running engine was much nicer on the interstate today.

Still, though, now I've got it in my head that I want a different bike (I'm sure some of you know the feeling), so I'm still keeping my eye out.

BTW, here are some up-to-date photos: