Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Riding for fun and adventure...

I'm curious to hear from other intermediate/novice riders that have moved past the newb stage and have tried, either successfully or unsuccessfully, moderate regional trips (say 400-1000 miles round trip.) I know Busyweb and Chris have undertaken a few and I think Sarris did one on vacation (and I suspect many others). What I'm interested in is:

1) How much of the "romance" of the open road holds up? Is the ride still fun when it's 4 - 5 hours or more?
2) Is there a point (distance? hours?) where a "tourer" is preferred over a "cruiser"?
3) Assuming price was not an issue, would you prefer to ride a loaded Tourer (a la Gold Wing) or a tourer/cruiser (like the Strat, or I assume, the Street Glide)?

I'm doing a lot of reading and a little testing of various bikes but there are so many motorcycles to choose from and with only 3000 miles of experience, I'm not sure what I want. If the GZ could go comfortably go about 10 miles an hour faster and had a sturdier seat, I might just stick with it, but it's just too underpowered and undersuspended for long trips. I plan on doing some test rides and test tours to see if I really even want to go that route, but I'd also like to hear from those of you that have gone before.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Riding for fun and adventure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
1) How much of the "romance" of the open road holds up? Is the ride still fun when it's 4 - 5 hours or more?
2) Is there a point (distance? hours?) where a "tourer" is preferred over a "cruiser"?
Been riding for about 40 years but took my first really long road trip last year.
Based on that:

There ain't no "romance" on the super-slab. There ain't much romance crossing the Great Plains either but, aside from that, I found the ride stayed "fun" as long as I was comfortable (read that: until the pain in my ass became unbearable!). This was on "rural" US routes.

So, I've said it before but bears repeating: Don't make a damn bit of difference whether you call it a cruiser, tourer, sport bike or standard; what you need is a bike that fits you comfortably and has the features you want without having to do a lot of "mods".

Your present rental "project" is a great way to go.

I would just caution you not to fall in love with the EXACT model of the first bike you ride that feels really good. Kinda like not marrying the first girl you ...mmmmm.....kiss. :biggrin:
Because other similar models will .....kiss.....about the same and may be a better value for other reasons. :whistle:

P.S. Now that I have the ass problem mostly solved, I plan to do more road trips on the GZ next year.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Because other similar models will .....kiss.....about the same and may be a better value for other reasons. :whistle:
And others will just cost you a shitload of money up front, and then lose you a shitload more in maintenance costs.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Alan, if all you want is 10 more MPH and a better seat then you don't need a really large bike. There are a fair number of 750-1000 cc bikes that will fill the bill. Sadly many of them have a generic seat that needs to be replaced with a custom job but the rest of the bike is more than adequate. Start haunting a few dealerships to see what is offered with/without bags, windshields, floorboards and other assorted toys. Take a look at the Suzuki "50" series of bikes. Fi 800 V-twin with a drive shaft. Kawi makes a 900 that has nice features too.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Alan, if all you want is 10 more MPH and a better seat then you don't need a really large bike.
Like I've been sayin'...............
Although I do drool at the sight of an ST-1300!!
And I think Alan is the perfect yuppie-type for a BMW! :poked: :cool:

Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
And I think Alan is the perfect yuppie-type for a BMW! :poked: :cool:
HA! From my mind to your keyboard!

:pimpdaddy:
Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
Moedad

I'm watching for a used sport touring type bike, along the lines of a Suzuki V-Strom 650 to a Bandit 1200S or something in between. I'm not hung up on Suzuki, those are just some bikes I've read good things about for what I have in mind. I would like to try the GZ on some multiday runs though.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

For the record, yuppie = young upwardly mobile professional or young urban professional.

I'm not young, upwardly mobile (pretty much on top at this point [and heading down], thank you very much), urban (more suburban) or professional (total amateur in every way.) My preferred derogatory term with which I refer to myself is "douchebag." Others agree.

Howevah: The chick in Resident Evil, whom I am modelling my life after, DOES ride a BMW. Ergo, I shall investigate. Anybody know where I can get those thigh holsters for my .45's? Also, what kind of cruising range does the BMW have? There always seems to be some sort of zombie trouble when one stops for gas.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Also, in all seriousness, I do appreciate the recommendations. I thought it might help if I listed things I DON'T really want:

1) The low-throated rumble of the (insert some V-Twin like engine here.) I'm not interested in people (okay, women) noticing my bike is loud. Chicks dig me for my rock hard bod.
2) Chrome. Ain't even wiped off my GZ once since I bought it and, unless it's gonna make my pant's dirty, I really don't care how shiny it is (I don't wash my cars much either.)
3) Custom paint, wheels, or any other non-performance related add-on/mod. Actually, I like black. Black and silver in a pinch. I will not buy a white, yellow, orange, green, purple or pink motorcycle.
4) 0-60 in 4 seconds. Super fast acceleration is not that important to me. I can't shift that fast anyway.
5) Top speed of 180 miles an hour. A top speed of 99 or so would probably be plenty.
6) Hand warmers, seat warmers.
7) RV like luggage space. I might be making a mistake here, but a part of me says, "hit the road with a toothbrush" and a few pairs of washable unmentionables. I am also not likely to be sleeping in a tent.
8) Leather saddle bags with shiny rivets. Nice to look at, but, leather? Outdoors? Doesn't seem practical.
9) Tassels, whips, fringes, or other "decorations."
10) No choppers or dirt bikes. Might consider an "adventure tourer" but I suspect, like hybrid bikes, you get the worst of both worlds. Probably don't want a sport bike either, but I need to try one first.

Sarris's exhortation aside, I suspect I am more likely to end up with a Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki than an H-D, but jury is still out on that, not having ridden an H-D yet. And, of course, the BMW looms. (I have driven a Toyota Camry for 25 years.)

Thanks again for all of your ideas.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
Also, in all seriousness, I do appreciate the recommendations. I thought it might help if I listed things I DON'T really want:

1) The low-throated rumble of the (insert some V-Twin like engine here.) I'm not interested in people (okay, women) noticing my bike is loud. Chicks dig me for my rock hard bod.
2) Chrome. Ain't even wiped off my GZ once since I bought it and, unless it's gonna make my pant's dirty, I really don't care how shiny it is (I don't wash my cars much either.)
3) Custom paint, wheels, or any other non-performance related add-on/mod. Actually, I like black. Black and silver in a pinch. I will not buy a white, yellow, orange, green, purple or pink motorcycle.
4) 0-60 in 4 seconds. Super fast acceleration is not that important to me. I can't shift that fast anyway.
5) Top speed of 180 miles an hour. A top speed of 99 or so would probably be plenty.
6) Hand warmers, seat warmers.
7) RV like luggage space. I might be making a mistake here, but a part of me says, "hit the road with a toothbrush" and a few pairs of washable unmentionables. I am also not likely to be sleeping in a tent.
8) Leather saddle bags with shiny rivets. Nice to look at, but, leather? Outdoors? Doesn't seem practical.
9) Tassels, whips, fringes, or other "decorations."
10) No choppers or dirt bikes. Might consider an "adventure tourer" but I suspect, like hybrid bikes, you get the worst of both worlds. Probably don't want a sport bike either, but I need to try one first
Kawasaki Vulcan 500. They top out at like 120 mph I think. And get 50 mpg. I sat on one at a dealership it feels similar to the GZ a little higher. Thats what I want when I decide to move up. And a purple bike would match my amp