Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
dannylightning

getting new bike, GOT NEW BIKE

harley sportster 883 probably a 05 or 06 model used price 5k-6k
PROS.... just about the perfect size, love the way it feels when i get on one, more power than i really need, looks cool,
CONS.... price and im not quite sure how reliable Harley are, people have mixed things to say about them.

honda shadow 750 2000 or newer used price 3k-4k
Pros.... comfortable, great balance, more than enough power, looks nice, plenty of accessories available, its a honda probably run for ever
Cons....a little bigger than i would like it to be, does not feel as good to me as the Harley when i ride it.

honda shadow vlx 2000 or newer used price 3k-4k
pros.... about the right size, looks cool, SEEMS TO have enough power, really like the way it looks, its a honda
cons... . cost about as much as the 750, could be balanced a bit better but its not bad..

honestly i like just about everything about the Harley except its a little more money and i do have questions about the reliability with the harley. the seat is a bit uncomfortable but besides that there is just something about he way the bike rides and feels that i fell in love with give me your opinions on this. i really like the way the new sportsters look but i like the feel of the last generation of sportsters a lot more.

if you think i should pick up one of the Honda's instead please let me hear your point of view.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: getting new bike, 3 to decide on. hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
the seat is a bit uncomfortable but besides that there is just something about he way the bike rides and feels that i fell in love with

if you think i should pick up one of the Honda's instead please let me hear your point of view.
You have actually ridden the 883 and didn't notice the vibration ???

I have an '07 VLX; HIGHLY recommended. Plenty of power.....up to about 75 and then not much after that. Vibrates a little. '07 was the last year.

In the end, you should get what makes you happy.......and that you can reasonably afford. A lot of used criusers come with ungodly loud pipes and sometimes other mods that are not desirable in the long run.......like modified air boxes and half-assed carb re-jetting. Be sure to ask about that kind of stuff.

AND......most importantly......don't buy anything that doesn't run PERFECTLY. When a seller says "It only needs xxxx." that really means that he doesn't really know WHAT the problem is and that's why he is selling it.

Don't overlook other things that are mid-range in size. We will probably hear a good report on the Kaw Vulcan 500 too.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
burkbuilds

Since Easy Rider brought it up, I think it would be worth your time to check out the Vulcan 500. You can pick up a brand new 09 for less than the Harley and it's the last year that they are going to make it. I've found mine to be very nice so far, about 3400 miles this Summer. 60 mpg average and if you want to go, I've read that it's as fast 0-60 as any cruiser out there under 900 cc's. Top speed is over 100 (personal experience) and she was handling well even at that speed. I've made several trips between Chattanooga and Atlanta (120 miles or so) and she can run 80-85 in traffic without any problems. It's still a light enough bike that it is easy to handle, fairly close to the GZ, a little less close cornering ability in the parking lot though.
Having said all that, if you've actually ridden the Harley and not just sat on it in the parking lot, and you are happy with how it feels to you and how it handles and rides and you like it better than anything else you've ridden then get the Harley (I can't believe I said that?).

Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
dhgeyer

Have not ridden a Sportster myself, but the 883's have a terrible reputation for vibration. Several people in my local club have them, and even at idle you can't see anything in the mirrors, they're shaking so violently. I believe they are neither counterbalanced nor rubber mounted. Harley went through some very bad years when they were owned by AMF. The bikes made during that time are sometimes called "bowling ball bikes". You don't want one of those. I don't know what years those were, but someone else here might. After a 200 mile or so ride, the people in our club riding the Sportsters are shot, and people riding other bikes less so.

I've owned 2 Honda 600 VLX's and one Kawasaki Vulcan 500. The VLX engine is smooth and very reliable. The mirrors are mounted fairly wide due to wide handlebars, making them actually useful for seeing behind you. That's about all I can say about them that's good in comparison to the Vulcan. The VLX has only a 4 speed transmission, and first gear is, by necessity rather tall, requiring a lot of clutch slippage to get going. I didn't find the VLX to be very comfortable on longer rides. It could use a better seat. I once did a valve clearance check/adjustment on a VLX, and it was awful. Being a V-twin there are 2 valve covers, and they are both a nightmare to get off as I recall. I didn't particularly care for the way the airbox mounted, as it didn't seal well unless I used some kind of goop. Shouldn't be necessary. The gas tank on the VLX is less than 3 gallons. On the highway you get only a little over a hundred miles before you hit reserve (at least that was my experience). Fuel economy was not good on the highway for me.

The Vulcan 500 is a parallel twin, six speed transmission. Much quicker off the line, much more comfortable (wonderful stock saddle), and far easier to work on if that's a consideration. I think the fuel economy is some better, especially on the highway. Top speed is faster, I think, although I never had the VLX's up near top end, so I'm not sure. The handlebars are narrower on the Vulcan, making the mirrors less useful.

My neighbor had the Honda 750 Shadow for years. I never rode his, but I did take one for a test ride once. Smooth engine, good saddle, good mirrors. I think it has the best features of the various bikes you mentioned if you don't mind it being a little more expensive, and the fuel economy won't be quite as good. It will have a lot of aftermarket accessories available as well, which the Vulcan and the VLX don't as much. You can get a very nice windshield with lowers in a variety of heights for the Shadow 750, for example. You can also get a Mustang saddle for the 750 for about $400.00 or so (last I checked anyway). That Mustang saddle is almost as comfy as the stock saddle on the Vulcan 500.....

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Upgrade time is it ? Hmmm, can't help much with any riding experience of the bikes mentioned. But I will tell you what I did prior to getting my Vstrom. Went looking and test sitting at the dealers. I was buying new but the same applies to used wherever you look. Made a short list which you have already done. Here is the good part. Just spent a whole bunch of time lurking on forums of your choosen bikes. Pay attention to maintenance issues and their costs, maintenance intervals, mods that seemingly have to be done to correct a factory wart, overall comfort, vibration of course and the amount of aftermarket stuff for the bike. Also how long the average owner keeps their bike and whether they regret buying it to begin with, and why. Everything you read and hear should be taken with a grain of salt of course. Some forums seem to attract groups of one-upmanship heros that have a better bike than anyone else. Don't believe it for a minute, all bikes are basically good and they are just waiting for the right rider to take them home. Forums are your best source of info, don't count on a salesman to be real truthful with any inquiries. Don't count on a private seller who is real vague on maintenance and any damage to a bike. Now I can sit back and wait for your next bike to appear.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
alanmcorcoran

I don't know anything about any of the bikes you are looking at (except I have sat on a shadow and almost bought one.) However, here are a few things I wish I'd paid some more attention to before I upgraded:

1) Insurance (may not be a factor. My new bike cost a lot more to insure than the GZ.)
2) Cruising range (dhgeyer mentioned this.) Very important to me. My bike's is on the low side. Esp in town.
3) Octane gas recommended. Mine needs 91 or better.
4) Heat generated (my bike gets pretty hot on the chrome surfaces. This may be the case in general. The Strat is a lot hotter than the GZ.)

Here are other things I did pay attention to that were also important:

1) storage/hard luggage
2) smoothness of engine/lack of vibration (mine purrs like a little kitty... ok, maybe a BIG kitty)
3) Drive (I like belt drive.)
4) Fuel Injection
5) seat height (I can put both feet flat on the ground.)
6) engine rpm sweet spot - My bike really feels good at 65-70 @ 3000 RPM's. It's a nice solid purr. Some bikes are working extra hard at this speed and shake and whine.
7) Quiet. (I don't need to impress the neighbors with how much noise I can make.)

Good luck and enjoy your new bike!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
dannylightning

all some good points you guys listed,

well the sportster i rode did not seem to have that much vibration. could it just be the older models vibrated a lot.

vlx questnion, when your doing 65 or 70 how high is the bike reved up.

i think i will check out a vulcan before i decide on any of these bikes..
Old 08-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
johnjh2o

Go with the Shadow 750. Much better balance then the Harley & as the vlx is a good starter bike it is a four speed.
Besides the GZ I also have a 1330 VTX by Honda. I ride the GZ around town and use the VTX for extended trips. I have 39000 mi on that bike with break downs (other then flat tires) not to many Harley riders can say that. Good luck on your new bike, what ever one you decide on.

John
Old 08-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #9
dannylightning

my conclusion now is im probably gonna skip the harley, i think i would prefer it but a honda would be much more practicle. harley parts and service is expensive, i would imagine insurance on one would be sky high also.

my concern with the vlx is what kind of comfortable cruzing speed can you get on one. if it will comfortably cruz at 65-70mph i would be quite happy with it. i don't need a big old power plant or any thing thats gonna shoot down the road like a rocket, i just want something that will have good highway speeds. i dont do much freeway driving and when i do its usually short trips only on the gz, i feel i should not run it over 60mph for any extended period of time. and would like to be able to cruz at a constant speed of 65 when the speed limit allows.

i found a nice 06 vlx for a little under 4 grand with 3k some miles on it. it has some pipes on it that sound great. just about the right volume too. not gonna shake any one windows or be heard for mile. just loud enough to let your presence be known. every thing else is stock on the bike. well there was a sissy bar and saddle bags but those would come right off. only thing about it is the front tire has a bit of dry rot.

cant seem to find any used vulcans in the area to go and look at. closest one i have found so far is about a hour away.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
my concern with the vlx is what kind of comfortable cruzing speed can you get on one. if it will comfortably cruz at 65-70mph i would be quite happy with it.

i found a nice 06 vlx for a little under 4 grand with 3k some miles on it. it has some pipes on it that sound great.
Here's the thing, the 600 VLX will do 65 in third. The vibration gets pretty bad above 60 though.
In that respect it is somewhat like the GZ.......with the scale moved up about 20 mph. It cruises comfortably at 70 but runs out of horsepower about 80 or so......and starts vibrating too.

You might be surprised to find that the pipes on it are STOCK; mine are and they have a nice growl when pushed but quiet otherwise.

And I can't for the life of me figure out how people think more gears is better. You end up with almost exactly the same final drive ratio and just have to shift more to get there. These bikes aren't supposed to be lightning quick and they aren't meant for racing......the only 2 reasons I can see for having extra gears. The clutch operation does take a little getting used to; kind of like starting a stock GZ in second.