Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #21
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist
Re: getting new bike, 3 to decide on. hmmmmm

I don't know if this helps, but I see lots of Honda 600's and 750's for around 3-4k here in the Raleigh area. I especially think the 750's are a nice mix of power and maneuvering. Big enough to do some serious touring yet light enough to feel like you can muscle it around some. I love my VTX1300 and I don't think I could find a more comfortable bike (after I replaced the butt-numbing stock seat, of course), but I sometimes wish I had gone a little smaller. It definitely lacks some of the nimbleness I feel when I ride my buddy's Shadow 750. Of course, I haven't ridden a 600, so I can't comment on whether it would fit the bill as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #22
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I'm proud to be on the GZ250. It's a practical, useful, fun, environmentally responsible vehicle.
That's how I felt about the GZ.....AND it's how I feel about the VLX too. It still gets ~ 60 MPG; often a little more. Like Danny said.......what I really wanted was a GZ with a 400 inline twin in it. Alas, nobody makes anything like that anymore.

There are still times that I feel the VLX is too heavy (I'm a relatively small person......and getting older) but seem to be slowly getting over that as time goes along. I don't even notice that the clutch is different anymore. The taller first gear makes you pay more attention to what you are doing and I think you end up with a better technique overall.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXorcist
I don't know if this helps, but I see lots of Honda 600's and 750's for around 3-4k here in the Raleigh area. I especially think the 750's are a nice mix of power and maneuvering. Big enough to do some serious touring yet light enough to feel like you can muscle it around some. I love my VTX1300 and I don't think I could find a more comfortable bike (after I replaced the butt-numbing stock seat, of course), but I sometimes wish I had gone a little smaller. It definitely lacks some of the nimbleness I feel when I ride my buddy's Shadow 750. Of course, I haven't ridden a 600, so I can't comment on whether it would fit the bill as well.
i would think that some of the larger bikes might lack a bit in the handling department. a 750 shadow would the the most practical i think minus the gas milage. in the field of comfort and good balance it beat just about every bike i looked at so far. right now im thinking about how good that bike did feel when i was on it. and maybee i should not sacrofice that for something i like the looks of a little more. the 750 was more comfortable tan the vlx by far. i think the 750 has a lower center of gravity witch is probably part of why it feels better balanced and lighter than the vlx did, i think the vlx was a little top heavy..

you probably have a good point nice about the mix of power and maneuvering with the 750 and dupo does have a valid point in his post as well, what if, just what if i do get that vlx and get tired of it fast. 600 compared to a 750 dosent seem like it would be that much difference but i know there is a pretty good jump in power with the 750, i guess that could come in handy and im sure it would be a little more fun. a little more than enough power might be a better idea than just enough, especially when its in the same price range. you guys really got me thinking. glad i decided to think about it instead of take that vlx i liked home yesterday.

i was looking on craigs list and you can get a nice 750 shadow in the price range you mentioned. only thing is i think i would prefer the model with the shaft drive over the chain drive and those aren't quite as cheep. any one think the shaft drive would really be worth paying a bit more for.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #24
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I'm proud to be on the GZ250. It's a practical, useful, fun, environmentally responsible vehicle.
That's how I felt about the GZ.....AND it's how I feel about the VLX too. It still gets ~ 60 MPG; often a little more.
so the vlx gets about 60+ mpg ??

what kind of milage do you actually get out of a 750 shadow.

the wheels in my head are spinning like crazy, im so confused. most things i know exactly what i want when i go to pick one up. but when it comes to choosing a bike there is so much to think about.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
bonehead

Two wheels + 45mpg+=good conservation in my book.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

Shaft drive is nice. Depends on how much $$ you can save and how much of a pain you consider chain maintenance to be, I guess. You do lose a tiny bit of power with the shaft drive, I've heard.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #27
dhgeyer

Take a deep breath......

So many bikes - SO LITTLE TIME!!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #28
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
any one think the shaft drive would really be worth paying a bit more for.
Yes.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
so the vlx gets about 60+ mpg ??

what kind of milage do you actually get out of a 750 shadow.
Yes. I haven't quite gotten over enjoying the extra TORQUE yet but even at that, I've gotten 63 on a couple of tanks. Probably could do better with a little less right wrist .....and maybe a smaller shield too.

As for the 750's (and there are several different ones), I don't know.

You might want to browse around here for a bit:
http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/

And I haven't said it in this thread yet but I strongly encourage you to NOT buy anything used without a test ride of some kind or a 4 hour return. You can do all the research in the world but until you get YOUR ass in the seat, you never really know how you will like it. And until you see and hear it run through the gears, you don't REALLY know if it is running right or not.

Some days I'm sorry I didn't test the Vulcan 500 first because it DOES have somewhat better performance.......but then there are SO many people that say:" Oooooo....nice bike".....with the bright red and lots of chrome. Even a couple of Harley riders; honest truth.

I think I'll keep it for a while. :cool:
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #30
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Two wheels + 45mpg+=good conservation in my book.
heck i some times get up to 42mpg out of my car 200+ miles on 5 gal of gas. you would really think that any motorcycle would be able to get around 100 mpg or so due the the weight and size, i mean if a car witch is much bigger and weights so much more can get over 40mpg. why is it a motorcycle that only weights a few hundred lbs does not get crazy good gas milage.

any ways, i have done a lot of thinking and im leaning twards the 750 shadow, comfort, good amount of power, reliable, still in production and you can get one used some what cheep.

after talking to some people about the 883 sportsters i will definately pass on that. the vlx well i really like the way it looks and gets descent gas milage but in all honesty i did not find it to be the most comfortable bike and something about it seemed kind of akward.

selling my bike on friday, im gonna sell a few things on ebay or craigs list that i dont need or ever use any more, so im thinking i will have around 4k to spend on a bike in the next week or two. i shouldn't have any problem finding a nice shadow for 4k or less.