Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #31
Water Warrior 2

Re: Increasing power output to handle accessory overload

So we went for a drive today in the rain with the wipers doing their best to create some clear spots on the windshield. Across the border to pick up some Tour Master heated gear. Lynda got a heated jacket liner and I got my heated pants to go with my jacket liner. I already know what the liner does and the pants are more of the same. HEAT and more HEAT. The pants plug into the jacket and the jacket controller powers both items nicely. So now I also have a spare controller that came with the pants. Spares are nice. Didn't go for a ride, just stood beside the bike and plugged in. Felt great. Just had a thought, they would make awesome pajamas on a cold night. Hell, I could put a battery in a back pack and go walking at -40 C.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-31-2009, 08:36 AM   #32
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Hell, I could put a battery in a back pack and go walking at -40 C.
Minus 40 you say????? As in forty below??? :jawdrop: Man, I'm glad I don't live any further North than I do!
Old 10-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #33
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Quote:
Hell, I could put a battery in a back pack and go walking at -40 C.
Minus 40 you say????? As in forty below??? :jawdrop: Man, I'm glad I don't live any further North than I do!

Never fear. I moved away from the 40 below zone in 2005 and only visit in the summer. Now Home is the West Coast with a much more temperate climate and we rarely get temps below freezing in the winter. The prairies can be brutally cold and unforgiving to people who like to temp Fate. I just got tired of the winters and found a warmer climate. This little wide spot in the road is north of Vancouver and called the Outdoor Capital of Canada for a reason. From here almost any activity is possible. That includes almost every winter activity. If I want snow and cold I just have to drive north a bit and wear thermal underwear.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:43 PM   #34
dhgeyer

Sounds like you got it pretty good, WW!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #35
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Sounds like you got it pretty good, WW!

Yup, I do have it good. Winters here are wet but no all that snowy. I can go for a 15 minute drive to a higher elevation and play in the snow. We are just a bit above sea level here with lots of mountains covered with snow. Snow will be falling and melt to become rain just a few hundred feet overhead. I can certainly live with that.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #36
alantf

Quote:

I can go for a 15 minute drive to a higher elevation with lots of mountains covered with snow.
:plus1: I know the feeling! I can sit on my terrace, in shorts, & look up to see the volcano covered in snow, & look down to see the tourists in Puerto de la Cruz sweltering in the heat.

I remember, a couple of years ago, taking a friend from England, up the cable car to the top of Teide. We had full hiking gear on, & we were still cold. Thing is, the tourists who had come on bus trips can't have been told how cold it was, & were on the top of the mountain in temperatures well below zero, wearing the shorts & vest tops that they were wearing when they got on the bus at sea level.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

LOL. The altitude change can be mighty rude. Went for a ride one nice summerish afternoon. Only needed a light mesh jacket until I started climbing uphill and discovered wind chill and slightly above freezing temps. BRRRR !
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 PM   #38
Water Warrior 2

Went for a ride today with temps 50-55 F. Not a lot of sunshine or wind , just dampish roads. Tried out my new heated pants. Oh so nice. The combo of a heated jacket liner and heated pants is very comfy. Oh ya, heated grips too. The heated gear fits nicely under my regular armored gear without being too bulky. Only needed a low setting to keep warm at highway speeds so the power draw was not even a concern.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #39
burkbuilds

I've been riding for about a week now with my gear on. It's nice to be all warm and comfy when it's cool outside. No real big drops in temps around here yet though, down into the low 40's is about all so far and probably won't be much lower for about a month. It usually warms up at least into the mid 50's and usually into the 60's or sometimes low 70's by mid afternoon.