Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Yamaha v-Star 650 Silverado edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
I'm really "drawn" to that bike right now,
Well, you just HAD to look, didn't you ?? :roll: :biggrin:

I don't know if it's better to stumble on something like that when you don't have the money........or when you DO.

I tried to stop looking.......but it IS difficult.
Easy, looking is free. Also when looking just keep repeating to yourself...........I am a responsible adult with no money....I am a responsible adult with no money.....I am a responsible adult with no money.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
burkbuilds

Even if I'm not a responsible adult, I have no money, and that pretty much ends it! Easy, I was looking for insulated riding pants when I went in there!

I'm not complaining, I really like my Vulcan and I'm still blown away by the performance from that 500 cc motor, makes you wonder why such a "mid size" motor can run with bikes so much larger and why Kawasaki is eliminating this bike from production next year? I absolutely can run dead even with my son in laws 750 Shadow and that's a 50% larger engine, I can hang tight with him from a dead stop and I've got at least as much top end if not more than he does. Now there is no comparison when it comes to looks, His shadow has more chrome and a better "shape" than my Vulcan ever dreamed of but performance wise and smoother running, I'll take the Vulcan.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
and why Kawasaki is eliminating this bike from production next year?
And in Europe, LAST year! :poorbaby:

Old 10-22-2009, 05:54 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

BB, I do believe the Vulcan uses the same basic engine as their entry level sport bike of a few years ago. It would be de-tuned a bit for cruising but still have some get up and go.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #15
burkbuilds

WW, it definitely will go! I am not sure what the red-line is, but I've seen other posts on a Vulcan forum that claim it's 9,500. No doubt it is turning a lot more rpm's than my son in laws Shadow 750 ACE at the same speed, but it doesn't seem to be under any "strain" doing it, and I noticed that when we'd stop at a traffic light side by side his bike is visibly shaking at idle. I read somewhere that Honda purposely redesigned that engine to be slightly out of balance so that it would produce more of a rumble sound to rival Harley Davidson. They actually used to have a "twin" crankshaft that countered the vibration from the V-Twin and they took it out and put in a single for the American Classic Edition (ACE). If that's true, they were successful, his bike has a great low rumble to it to go along with all that chrome, but I can't imagine having to ride it for very long because of the vibrations.

Alantf, yeah, I wish you could have gotten one of these 500's, I think it would have been ideal for your riding needs, It handle very nimbly in tight situations and yet you can "run with the big dogs" on the highway all day long.

WW, I think you are right about the basic engine block being the same as from the Ninja 500 with a lot of changes to give it more mid range torque at the expense of some top end speed but it still has those "genetics" that allow it to hit some pretty high rpm's compared to most bikes in the Cruiser category. I noticed the Yamaha 650 actually used the block from their 535cc motor bored out a little more and increased the stroke length to give it a larger displacement and then they narrowed the carburetor throats down from 34mm to 28mm to give it more response off the line at the expense of top end overall speed.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Memory tells me the Ninja 500 twin is about 50 ponies. I have had cars with less horse power. A number of years ago I was considering the Ninja and the young lad (salesman) told me it wouldn't be powerful enough to pull out and pass most cars on the highway. Give me a break here, the power to weight ratio alone tells me this is lots of bike.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
burkbuilds

After school today I headed back home since my Friday classes were canceled, and I just couldn't resist dropping in at the Suzuki/Yamaha dealers to sit on the Yamaha 650 V-Star Silvrado Edition again and really assess it. First, they "revealed" that the Mustang seat was an extra $690 on top of the price, then they added up the other accessories and so we are now talking about nearly $8,000. for this bike, way more than what I'd consider paying for it. Then I sat on it and realized that I'd have to put risers on the handlebars to keep them off my knees (another $150 approx according to the salesman). The saddle bags were very stylish, but wouldn't hold as much as the ones on my Vulcan, the windshield was beautiful, but it didn't offer any "hand guard" protection like my windshield does on the Vulcan. The sales man told me he owned two of them and got between 48-52 mpg which is 8-12 less than the Vulcan, and he finally conceded that I probably wouldn't get the same performance as the Vulcan until I got up to the Suzuki 800cc bikes (I think that's the M-50, and C-50) then I realized that although the seat was way more comfortable than the one on my vulcan, the leg room wasn't as much because I've modified my seat to be about 3" higher and further back than this one. So, even though it does look amazingly better than my Vulcan, it just isn't going to do what I want and it costs too much, oh well, the love died fast huh? The good news is that I'm now even happier with my Vulcan and that is a good thing!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
After school today I headed back home since my Friday classes were canceled, and I just couldn't resist dropping in at the Suzuki/Yamaha dealers to sit on the Yamaha 650 V-Star Silvrado Edition again and really assess it. The good news is that I'm now even happier with my Vulcan and that is a good thing!
Yup, sometimes a test sit and added info can be quite a reality check. But now you know and are free to find another dream to fill your thoughts.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
burkbuilds

Right now I'm dreaming about getting an "A" in Dr. Nassari's Manufacturing Processes class!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #20
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Quote:
First, they "revealed" that the Mustang seat was an extra $690 on top of the price, then they added up the other accessories and so we are now talking about nearly $8,000.
1998 Suzuki Marauder 800 w/ saddlebags - $1700
eBay Mustang Seats and Jardine Sissy Bar - $250

Total: $1950

I don't see why anyone would buy a small cruiser new.