Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
oneyunguy

S50 reviews / chat

Hello all,

I am looking into buying possibly a 07 or 09 Suzuki S50. I would love to hear and see all that people have to offer in the way of reviews, knowledge and experience with this bike?

Let the fun begin!

Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Sarris

Re: S50 reviews / chat

I used to own a 1996 VS 1400 (S83?) 4 speed model and it was a wonderful bike.

Like Musicman said, the battery and air filters are a bitch to get to, but otherwise it's a bulletproof machine. It's a great step up.

I did do some minor mods to mine. PM me if you need some source info.

:roll: :lol:
Old 03-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyunguy
I am looking into buying possibly a 07 or 09 Suzuki S50. I would love to hear and see all that people have to offer in the way of reviews, knowledge and experience with this bike?
Have a look here:

http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/

Tell DrBob I sent you !!

J/K.....Lots of good info. there about all kinds of Zuki's; mostly M50.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Look at my answer to your other recent post and MY other post under "other bikes", my new ride (2 posts in July 2009). Dr. Bob on the other M-J forum had 2, one with 139,000 miles which would still be going if it wasn't wrecked, and his second with 75,000 + miles.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
oneyunguy

I must say, I really like how the Honda American Classic Edition (ace) looks!

Old 03-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
mrlmd1

Then why don't you ask:

"I am looking into buying possibly a 07 or 09 Honda ACE. I would love to hear and see all that people have to offer in the way of reviews, knowledge and experience with this bike?"

instead of Suzuki S50?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
oneyunguy

Well, I said I like the way they LOOK, not anything about quality or reliability. I prefer Suzuki in many ways over Honda. Just because I think something LOOKS good, doesn't mean I want it. If I wanted reviews on Honda, I would probably go to a Honda forum and ask there.

I haven't done much research or spent much time looking into Honda so I don't know about their reliability or quality. I have read much on the M50 and S50 though and seen alot about the bullet-proofness of these bikes.

The only things I know about Honda is how much trouble I had with my 554's many years ago. I also had alot of trouble with Yamaha. It's Suzuki's turn now even though I have had a couple problems with the GZ.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
oneyunguy

Sarris : That's a sweet lookin Intruder! I didn't think suzuki's could have that much rake!
Old 03-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
The only things I know about Honda is how much trouble I had with my 554's many years ago.
OK, so what's a 554 ?? Dirt bike.......racer......ATV.....???

Honda has probably the best reliability reputation across the whole industry......but they all make a "dog" now and then.

The conclusion you have drawn from your one isolated experience is invalid........like most conclusions arrived at that way. :biggrin:
Old 03-27-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Well, I said I like the way they LOOK, not anything about quality or reliability. I prefer Suzuki in many ways over Honda. Just because I think something LOOKS good, doesn't mean I want it. If I wanted reviews on Honda, I would probably go to a Honda forum and ask there.

I haven't done much research or spent much time looking into Honda so I don't know about their reliability or quality. I have read much on the M50 and S50 though and seen alot about the bullet-proofness of these bikes.

The only things I know about Honda is how much trouble I had with my 554's many years ago. I also had alot of trouble with Yamaha. It's Suzuki's turn now even though I have had a couple problems with the GZ.
Never owned a Honda but they are a good product. Their 750 V-twins have proven to be very popular over the years. Aftermarket support is probably as good as it gets too. As for the S-50 and M-50 they are similar but not really the same in some cases. The S-50 is more of an around town bike compared to the M-50. The M comes with FI, a larger tank, a larger seat, different forks, cast wheels, tubless tires, different bars, different exhaust pipes and more weight overall. It is also the best handling(I have read) of the 50 series bikes. What it comes down to is the actual uses you have planned for your ride. Any of these 750/800 V-twins will haul you anywhere with reliability. Appearance, comfort level, equipment level, maintenance costs, insurance costs and what really tugs at your heart strings should be considered.