Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 06-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
blaine

Re: Does Boulevard S40 have backfire or popping problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman

This leaves me wondering if similar adjustments can be done to the GZ to improve its performance? You may be able to tell I am still trying to 'get smart' about motorcycles. (I used to be a jet mechanic, but this is all new to me.)
If you check under "performance mods" there is a big section on on shiming the needle jet and changing main jet.I rejeted my bike and find a big difference in performance.The G.Z. and the S40 have very similar carbs.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:

This leaves me wondering if similar adjustments can be done to the GZ to improve its performance? You may be able to tell I am still trying to 'get smart' about motorcycles. (I used to be a jet mechanic, but this is all new to me.)
If you check under "performance mods" there is a big section on on shiming the needle jet and changing main jet.I rejeted my bike and find a big difference in performance.The G.Z. and the S40 have very similar carbs.
I have read up on the performance mods but didn't see anything about just adjusting the carb screws without rejetting. If just adjusting the screws on the S40 improves performance as well as people are saying, would it do the same for the GZ?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
ncff07

[/quote]It is a narrow space and I will have to S weave between my neighbor's and my air conditioners then through a 36" wide gate. With some practice I might be able to ride it part way, but maybe not. Besides that I am 60 and don't want to mess with a heavy bike. Or an overpowered one for me.[/quote]

Power walk it. The bike will move its own weight.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:

I have read up on the performance mods but didn't see anything about just adjusting the carb screws without rejetting. If just adjusting the screws on the S40 improves performance as well as people are saying, would it do the same for the GZ?
Yes, It will only improve performance and drivability from idle to 1/4 throttle.Needle shim helps 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.Main jet helps 3/4 to full throttle.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Okay, now you can tell us why you have to push your bike around the house. It is easier to ride instead of push.
It is a narrow space and I will have to S weave between my neighbor's and my air conditioners then through a 36" wide gate. With some practice I might be able to ride it part way, but maybe not. Besides that I am 60 and don't want to mess with a heavy bike. Or an overpowered one for me.
Practice with the GZ and see how well you can move along sitting on it with a little power to motivate the bike. You can better balance the bike while astride it. Same goes for a heavier bike.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 AM   #16
alantf

Quote:
the owner shouldn't have to do what the manufacturer should have done.
I don't live in America, but it seems that it's more to do with your government (and the emissions regulations) than the manufacturer. My European (Spanish) GZ is set up completely different from the factory, with the correct (I think) carb settings for the bike. :2tup:
Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
the owner shouldn't have to do what the manufacturer should have done.
I don't live in America, but it seems that it's more to do with your government (and the emissions regulations) than the manufacturer. My European (Spanish) GZ is set up completely different from the factory, with the correct (I think) carb settings for the bike. :2tup:
Correct,Manufacturer has their hands tied by the government. :plus1:

Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
blaine

Quote:
I have read several forums where the owners complain of it backfiring or popping. In one case a mechanic told the owner there is nothing that can be done about it due to emmission controls. I get the impression that it is an on going problem with this model.
A lot of licensed mechanics will not do any adjustments on a carburetor because of federal law forbidding it.That is why the bikes come with a plug over the idle jet.Bikes overseas run richer and are adjusted for best performance. :rawk:

Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Yes. And the proceedure is documented in at least one thread right here.......with pictures.....but the gain in performance, while real, is not as dramatic as with the S40.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Easy Rider

Quote:
There is only ONE screw that's adjustable and, on both bikes, that only affects the idle and VERY low end. On both, it makes the idle smoother and the transition to mid-range a little better and on the 40 reduces the popping. None of those effects are very dramatic.