Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
bwader

Have you ever changed your tires by hand?

I did last year on a scooter tire 130/60 13inch it was way easier getting off than putting the new one on.
My tools were 2 cheap tire irons 11 1/2 inches long, some soapy water, and me.

Today I got my rear GZ tire off. Was pleasantly surprised it had a Pirelli tube in there and in good condition so I'm reusing that. 5,400 miles on bike and 8 years old. I had ordered an IRC brand tube just in case.

After taking the wheel off the bike on car jack stands, I took out the valve core.
With tire on ground I stood on the sidewall and soaped up the rim and tire all around on both sides.
No tool needed, just my 240 pound body and soap water.
Then took tire the cheap tire levers and pulled up one side off the tire, took some time and it came off.
Had the tire off halfway then tire levers and pushing my weight down from top of the tire to get the tire off.

Now just need to put the new tire and tube on the rim. I'm going to wait until Monday to take it to a motorcycle shop for them to put it on.
Because I think its going to be a bitch getting it on and plus its going to rain tomorrow and I'm done dealing with wrestling for one day.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Have you ever changed your tires by hand?

You have more ambition than I have. I can't seem to build up enough courage to fight with a tire.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
bwader

The hardest part is the last 270 degrees on the last part of the tire. Last year I took that scooter tire to a dirtbike mechanic and he helped me muscle that last part on there.

I don't know how much it will cost to just mount and balance the tire.

I ordered RIDE ON tire balancer and sealant for both tires. After reading lots of reviews I'm convinced its well worth that $15 cost per 8 ounce bottle even if its just to keep the tires balanced and seal punctures in that middle tread path or that part of the tube.

I might just walk away from the motorcycle tire shop if I think its more than I want to pay. And for me, evenif it takes me 2 long hours to wrestle the new tyre/tube on the rim then I just saved the money for my time. Then again knowing it would only take 5-10 min. at a shop to do it might be worth that money.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
bwader

I did it! I put the new tire inside the rim. Facing the right way and with tube inside :cool:

I tell you on the rear GZ tire it is much easier than the AVON 13 inch scooter tire I put on last year.

It didn't take too much effort either!
And if you go tubeless its even more simple and easy. But I'll explain how I just did it in 15min. by myself.
Tools: 2 tire irons and dish soap or tire lube, if I was buying tire irons again, its worth it to get the best ones you can afford or willing to pay. Mine were 15 bucks for the pair made in china.

1. Take your tireless/tubeless rim put in your tube in the hole and hand tighten.
2. Take dish soap I didn't dilute it, and spread it on the both sides of the metal rims and both sides of the new tire. This is the key to making it easier.
3. Lay the rim with tube around it on top the new tire and get one end inside. I might have done it reversed but you get the idea. I had tried it both ways. Keep the tube outside so you don't pinch it or damage. Use tire irons to push the first half of tire to inside tire.
4. With the side with excess tire on top, use tire irons to start getting the last part of the tire on the rim.
5. Be careful the soap is slippery: Stand on the top of the tire side wall to keep at least half the tire on the tire then work more of it.
6. With the last 270 degrees left, go in the middle of the last part of tire left to get on the rim and lever it in. Takes some force but it should go in. Get someone to help you if needed.
7. With valvecore out of tire, fill tire to set the bead and release. On tubeless it can be a pain to get a seal all the way around. I used some slime to get a better seal as a last resort on that scooter tire.
8. Put the valve core back in and inflate the tire to make sure its good.
9. I'm using RIDE ON in my tires so I won't need to get balanced.
10. Put back on bike

Hope I explained this well enough. I think anybody can do this with enough leverage.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
bwader

This is the video I learned from.

You can get the tire rim protectors, but I didn't use any. I didn't damage the rim or make marks on mine.

I have the satisfaction I did it myself on a Saturday evening with no motorcycle shops open and saved myself some money.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
bwader

Something I didn't know before was, there is a little dot on the tire that tells you it is the lightest part of the tire and to put it by the valve stem to balance the tire easier. Also I looked through more videos and a guy does it dry using lots of baby powder.
More than one way to skin a cat!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
bwader

I got to say the RIDE ON sealant/balancer works well! I rode a day to/from work and I noticed a little more wobble than before and my bike has no wheel weights to start with- new tire changed that I know.

Put in 8 oz. in rear and 7 oz. in the front. It was worth the $34 for 2 tubes of the stuff with shipping. Probably would have been cheaper than a wheel balance and literally "down the road".