Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-15-2014, 01:24 AM   #21
gz4me +

Nod GZ250 exhaust backfire no start.

Between mowing lawns and dealing with medical issues, have not had any time to work on bike. Things starting to slow down, so I might be able to get working on it next week. Will be doing compression check and cam timing check. Need to find information on cam timing before I go any further on that. I see from the postings that several members have solved their problems and out enjoying their bikes. Hopefully ImaginativeFig and I will be in that group soon. If anyone has info on cam timing, please let me know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #22
ImaginativeFig

So this one's your grandson's?
For me, all my timing issues arose from allowing the woodruff/alignment key to be destroyed/displaced.
Checking compression was probably the most useful thing I ever did. It's what led me to the discovery of both the shorn camshaft (which is probably the only one of the problems with my bike that weren't my bad) and the again-misplaced key...
Using starter fluid is how I found out that I still didn't have my carb right.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #23
gz4me +

Yes. I bought the GZ for him after he layed down a Yamaha 650 custom. After laying the bike down at a stop sign 1 block away from house.( No damage to bike or Grandson.) He knew he was going down and was able to get off bike and lay it down softly. Only thing hurt was his pride and confidence in riding. He felt the GZ would be better until his riding skills developed a little more. We enjoy working on the bike, but both of us would enjoy him riding it more than working on it. Both of us have gained respect for you as we followed your posts. You have gained the respect of many on this forum for not giving up and working hard to get that GZ back to rolling down the road. We hope to have his running in the near future. Had to take a break from it. Lack of money and time were the main reasons for taking break. Still not exactly sure why it will not start. Will go over every possible reason until she works.

Last edited by gz4me +; 10-10-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #24
ImaginativeFig

Haha, well I wouldn't have needed to do nearly as much as I did had I not made so many mistakes!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #25
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginativeFig View Post
Haha, well I wouldn't have needed to do nearly as much as I did had I not made so many mistakes!
Mistakes are Lessons well learned.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #26
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz4me + View Post
Yes. I bought the GZ for him after he layed down a Yamaha 650 custom. After laying the bike down at a stop sign 1 block away from house.( No damage to bike or Grandson.) He knew he was going down and was able to get off bike and lay it down softly. Only thing hurt was his pride and confidence in riding. He felt the GZ would be better until his riding skills developed a little more. We enjoy working on the bike, but both of us would enjoy him riding it more than working on it. Both of us have gained respect for you as we followed your posts. You have gained the respect of many on this forum for not giving up and working hard to get that GZ back to rolling down the road. We hope to have his running in the near future. Had to take a break from it. Lack of money and time were the main reasons for taking break. Still not exactly sure why it will not start. Will go over every possible reason until she works.
A 650 custom is a little more than a starter bike for most folks. The weight factor alone is a danger when coupled with little to none experience.
Send your young descendant to an approved riding course and also buy him a copy of Proficient Motorcycling. The grandson should learn the proper way before developing any bad habits that can make riding dangerous or less enjoyable.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #27
gz4me +

Grandson has already taken the course and read the Proficient Motorcycling book. Did well in the course and was riding a few bikes prior to getting on the 650. He had been riding the 650 around the neighborhood(gated) for about a month before the lay down. The Assocation installed speed bumps just before every stop sign. I think he was worried about the new speed bump and tensed up. I agree the weight of the 650 did not help. The 650 is a nice looking bike and he did not want to lay it down anymore. Both of us decided to drop down in weight for awhile. We decided on the GZ and he was doing fine until the bike had issues. Now we just need to get it going so he can get back to riding.