Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 09-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Replies to or quoted

I know that, or I guess that, there is no way to know that a poster has directed his message at you specifically, but is there a way to add a "View new posts" type button that will show threads where you have been quoted, but have not replied?

A number of times I've been away for a day or so, and someone has left a post directed at me that has aged past the "new post" cutoff. At that point, I've pretty much missed it, never responded, and, well, it kind of looks like I'm intentionally ignoring them, which is possible, but not usually the case.

If people know you will be able to find posts they've quoted you, they would probably develop the habit of quoting something when responding to a particula post to send you a sort of semaphore...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Replies to or quoted

There's no feasible way to do this. The "Quote" tag is a BBCode tag that simply adds a text line into someone's message. It doesn't put any identifier in the database to distinguish it from just another plain text post in the topic. Sorry.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A moist tart
I know that, or I guess that, there is no way to know that a poster has directed his message at you specifically, but is there a way to add a "View new posts" type button that will show threads where you have been quoted, but have not replied?

A number of times I've been away for a day or so, and someone has left a post directed at me that has aged past the "new post" cutoff. At that point, I've pretty much missed it, never responded, and, well, it kind of looks like I'm intentionally ignoring them, which is possible, but not usually the case.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Well how about if I lob a scimitar at you? Do you become King? Or do we remain an autonomous collective?

Old 09-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
A number of times I've been away for a day or so, and someone has left a post directed at me that has aged past the "new post" cutoff.
WHAT ??? There is a cutoff for "View new Posts" ???
If so, maybe it needs to be extended .........to something like 30 days or so.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, and it's not very long - like 24 hours or less, depending on the time of day.

Hey Patrick, is there a global "View unread posts"? I think that's what people thought the "new posts" actually was...

Easy, I check the new ones, then I go to the various forums and look for the orange (or yellow) for ones missed because they are too old to be considered new anymore.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Easy, I check the new ones, then I go to the various forums and look for the orange (or yellow) for ones missed because they are too old to be considered new anymore.
Well, that's a huge pain in the ass......and should not be necessary.

"View new posts" should function as "View posts since last visit", a straight forward search for dates later than your "last visit", which is prominently displayed in the upper lefthand corner.

Anyhow, if there must be an expire time, it should be a LOT longer than 24 hours. It's not like we are going to have THOUSANDS of posts to wade through !!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Just click "Mark forums read" before you log off and the new ones will be highlighted on your next visit. Seems to work for me. Look for it near the bottom of the Board index page.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Just click "Mark forums read" before you log off and the new ones will be highlighted on your next visit. Seems to work for me. Look for it near the bottom of the Board index page.
I don't think you understand the complaint. The fact that the forums list seems to keep track of everything new since your last visit only makes the situation more confusing.

There is an item near the top right labeled "View new posts". The logical assumption is that it also lists everything new since your last visit. It appears, however, that is NOT the case and it only covers the previous 24 hours or so.

It is a VERY useful tool. It needs to be fixed......if possible. Plodding through the main forum list is cumbersome and it's easy to miss things.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Easy, it might list everything new since last visit. (Although I don't think so...)

It does NOT list everything unread.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #10
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I'll work on this. I have a plugin ready to install that will add a View Unread Posts link.

Patience, young Daniel-san. Now go paint my fence.