Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Forum News & Support

Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Thread Header

Switched setting in Display to use "Clear Type" to smooth display fonts. Looks the same to me. I just clicked the OK button, I didn't reboot.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Hmm, unsolved mysteries strikes again.

I'm kind of at a loss why this is happening on your end. The .css calls for font-family: "Lucida Grande", Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; as the fonts used in the forum. They are system installed fonts that come with your OS.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
No not odd. Actually 1280x800 is normal for laptops with a 15" widescreen. I am running the same resolution.
Another case where I am behind the times, it would seem.

I got a brand new system about a year ago. It came with a "widescreen" monitor. I screwed with it for about 2 weeks, trying every possible (I think) combination of resolution settings, font sizes and magnifications. I just HATED it. Either it looked "stretched" or the fonts were so small I couldn't read them or something about it looked "weird". I ended up actually paying extra for a "standard" aspect monitor and was instantly happy again. :cool:

So..........I'm guesssing you are probably just stuck with it, Alan......unless you might want to try another similar resolution with a "standard" 1.33 aspect ratio. That would probably leave the sides of your wide monitor unused though.

The time you are wasting worrying about this would be better spent riding !! .....says one who now has his bike put away for the winter.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Nah,

Got to do something when I am in the office. It's not a big deal. Some of us computer types like to explore these things like some of you guys like to eff with your carburetor. Since it's not an issue for 90% of the people visiting, it's not worth pursuing.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 AM   #15
Dupo

desktop widescreens usually run at 1440x900 for normal operation. if you had it at anything else without having clear type fonts enabled, it probably looked like ass.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 11-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
alanmcorcoran

I think it's pretty much set to what it was set to when it came in the box. You can see from my previous post, with the current driver, I don't have an option to set it any higher. I've had this model for so long (I actually replaced a very similar version in May) that I'm not really sure the screen is a "wide screen." It is a smaller notebook screen (13.3") on a Sony VGN-SZ645. Not sure if it's true anymore, but my past expereince is, there's basically one resolution that the LCD's are built for and the rest of them look various degrees of crappy. I didn't have the clear type on until you suggested it and I don't see any significant difference. Again, this is only one font out of many and is a very small part of the site, so I suggest we drop it and move on.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
Dupo

Actually i was responding to Easy ... when he said about his LCD monitor looking like butt and changed the resolution. I should have quoted him.

Clear type should have made a difference Alan. It smooths fonts so they dont look so blocky on a LCD display. There was a big difference for me when i enabled it on my desktop LCD.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
desktop widescreens usually run at 1440x900 for normal operation. if you had it at anything else without having clear type fonts enabled, it probably looked like ass.
There were 2 distinct problems, both with the supplied "factory" settings:

1) Text displays and similar looked very good; crisp and sharp.......and teeny tiny. Couldn't reliably read them except with my "close up" reading glasses, about 12 inches from the screen. Totally unacceptable.

2) That gives an aspect ratio of 1.6 vs the old standard of 1.3. I quickly found that most things with a graphics display were stretched wide. Made a beautiful young lady look fat. Again, totally unacceptable. :biggrin:

Trying to solve #1 invariably resulted in something "hanging off" the screen. It appeared that solving #2 would require changing the settings or getting new drivers for a lot of software. I eventually gave up.

Oddly enough, I have found NOTHING that is a problem with my "old" setup. Once in a great while I have to scroll horizontally but that's a very minor inconvenience.
Not too surprisingly, "old" folks often have different requirements......and less patience for tinkering with things.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #19
Sarris

V7 24" widescreen w/ Nvidia video set to 1680 x 1050 res. The site is gorgeous.

:bow: :2tup:

EDIT: Typo on screen size. Is a 24" widescreen not 26"
Old 11-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Dupo

26" wide .. im drooling.

Easy, its understandable. New LCD's do run at a crisp sharp resolution .. and if you are used to running the older monitor resolutions that are easy to read .... then go to 1440x900, it does look teeny tiny and takes some major adjustment to get used to. I get it.

I've always been prone to high resolution myself, so going to LCD and laptop resolutions was an easy step.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook