Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Sticky switches.

I still have the old 83 Silver Wing and intend to sell it. I have tried contact cleaner to make the switches work smoother but they are still dragging more than I would like. All the switches make good contact thankfully.
Any recommendations to clean them up more and then use more contact cleaner after that? I would like the bike to be a little more user friendly for the next owner.
I'm also thinking I might put it on the road for a couple months for myself while it is for sale. It is not near as friendly as the new bike so if I do drop it somewhere I will need help lifting it. Whoever helps me just may get a free bike. It is basically a good bike but not for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-01-2016, 03:54 AM   #2
alantf

can you get the switches apart, to check them, or are they sealed units?
Old 02-01-2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Haven't tried anything like that Alan. I was hoping for an external kind of fix if possible. But then nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. The left hand switches, signals and headlight hi/lo are my prime concern. The signal switch not longer has any feel to work with so I have to look down to see if it really did move left or right. It does not have the push in feature for signals off so it may not have any springs to pop out never to be found.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-02-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
alantf

Yes, looks like there's something not right, deep in the bowels of the switch. Is there any chance of you getting a cheap replacement for the whole assembly? Usually, in a rocker switch, like hi/lo beam, there'e a sort of flexible leaf spring thingy. If this is the case, it could have got weak with age. Just guessing, but it looks like you'll have to strip it or replace it. Good luck with the checking.