Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 05-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
mobleydrew

2000 GZ250; need more power

If I go up in jet sizes, shim needle, pod filter, and put on a new supertrapp pipe (originally meant for a FZR400, sitting on shelf for another project), will I get a noticeable increase in power? In stock form, is as slow as my bowel movements.
Drew

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by mobleydrew; 05-21-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
blaine

In a word.......NO.......But you will get better performance out of the usable power that is there.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
celesboy1

- cutting loose perforated pipes inside the original muffler
- bigger jet size
- aftermarket air filter
- mod your intake and exhaust port
- aftermarket CDI (this one probably not sold in US market but its plenty in my country coz its originally indonesian product)
- FCR carb
- last one is....go up displacement (bore-up / stroke-up / do both ways)

i did all of step above few years ago....except mod to bigger displacement

Last edited by celesboy1; 07-13-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobleydrew View Post
If I go up in jet sizes, shim needle, pod filter, and put on a new supertrapp pipe (originally meant for a FZR400, sitting on shelf for another project), will I get a noticeable increase in power? In stock form, is as slow as my bowel movements.
Drew
The bike simply won't get much faster... You can tweak a few things, and mess with gearing, but it is what it is. It's either enough bike for you or it isn't.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
Pmhearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq View Post
The bike simply won't get much faster... You can tweak a few things, and mess with gearing, but it is what it is. It's either enough bike for you or it isn't.

I am digging REAL deep looking this far back but these little bikes dont get enough love. I have had a gsxr600 and a suzuki vs1400... i think i have the most fun riding this bike. Which is what im going to disxuss...

I am buying my sons bike which needs just a little work... electric and carb work. I got it for 400$ and im bobbing it out. Full on, might avout 6 months. Not looking for power just some smootg operation and sound pretty good. Should it choked up? Or weld on straight pipe with minimal baffel and rejet to allow for a more free spin (no torque gain)??

Old 07-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
kilo0195

I agree PM... I'm new to this site but I've been reading through it for a bit while modding my gz I got about a month ago. I'm 150lbs and 5'6" so this thing was great for me to get back to riding with. As with anything I drive it takes me about 2 seconds before I want to pull it apart and modify it. I replaced the exhaust with an emgo shorty and 1.5" pipe and I put in a k&n without the diverter. I ported it then I rejetted to 147.5 and shimmed the carb then moved up to a 16t front sprocket. I can say I'm pretty impressed with how it does now compared to what it was. I can feel perfectly fine on the highway at 65 and still have enough to speed up to 75 and pass if I need to. Back highways at 55mph this bike is amazing. For a small rider like myself I think this bike is great and needs some love. This winter I'll be taking it apart to put on a 300cc big bore kit and possibly deck it if clearance will allow. I was riding earlier today with some guys and they were all surprised when I told them it was just a 250. Bottom line if your a smaller person then this bike has potential. http://imgur.com/a/5XJnK