Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
grego

hid headlight bulb replacements

hi all
i'm a new rider. purchased a 2006 with 168 miles on it. went thru the saftey school which i thought was a great way to learn how to ride. i live in southern california just outside los angeles. rush hour is about 20 hours long and usually bumper to bumper 4 lanes wide. i was thinking about replacing the h4 in the headlight with an hid because i want to ride to work and its dark when i leave the house.. all the adds say a direct replacement. can it be that easy ?
i also was looking at a flashing stop light. would you believe that only in california it can only flash 4 times. i feel confident that someone out there has done both of these mods and can suggest the best way to go

thanks
grego

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
blaine

Re: hid headlight bulb replacements

I have good luck with these plasma bulbs.I find them much brighter at night and more noticable in the daytime.I have never used a modulating brake light.

:cool:

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Flashing brake lights eh. You came to the right place. What you want are HyperLights. They are separate LED brake lights that will flash a few time and then stay steady. They are available with a built in flasher/modulator and are your best bang for the buck. Get the 8 LED per side kit and you will be super happy. I put them on Lynda's bike after she upgraded to an M-50 and they are just so eye popping. Easy to mount and easy to wire in with excellant directions and all the fittings.
HID headlights are great for some folks. I am not sure if one would fit the GZ light bucket. Don't have any personal experience with them on any vehicle.
You might however contact Eastern Beaver in Japan. A Canadian with all sorts of nifty items to improve lighting. Ask about a relay kit to power the present headlight as they do make a difference. And of course a question or 2 about a proper HID to fit the GZ. Eastern Beaver has a very good reputation on a few well know forums.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Way

I'm going to go with the Eastern Beaver relay kit, just need to ask them some questions.

The headlight on the GZ (mine at least) is extremely bright on its own. I just want to tweak them a little which I think the relay kit will do nicely. I also have a Silverstar to install too.

I'm sure an HID is bright but whether the extra expense is worth it is debatable.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Sounds good. I have heard good things about the EB relay kit.