Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
mgalactico

Kevlar Jeans?

Does anyone uses Kevlar jeans? Do you recommend them? If so, which brand name? Did they come small? Large?

If you have had the bad luck to 'test' a pair (I hope you are OK) can you share how they performed?

Looking for safety gear :rawk:

-m

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
PimpS

Re: Kevlar Jeans?

I'm using kevlar jeans with knee protectors. As far as good. I forgot brand name, i'm sure there's a lot of them. When buying i wanted some protectors too, but seeing friend's leather panths, there is no comparison, leather pants are much better and more protectable.
I haven't fall down with them, so i can't tell how did they protect, i hope i won't. Otherwise, to me they are fine, not too hot on the bike, but when driving at 5 degrees celius, you need some long shorts or underwear.
Here they come in all sizez like jeans...

For Gz, i think they are fine.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
mrlmd1

Kevlar jeans only offer a little bit more abrasion resistance, absolutely no impact resistance, and are sometimes more expensive than riding pants.
IMO you are better off with dedicated armored riding pants or overpants (which can serve as rain gear and cold weather gear too with the liners in place, or removed for summer riding) than you are with kevlar jeans. You can get either textile or leather pants or overpants which are much better than kevlar jeans at less cost.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Rionna

I recently purchased Kevlar jeans made by Shift. I ordered them from Sportbiketrackgear.com. They have hip and knee protectors. While not as effective as leather pants, they are better than regular jeans which offer zero protection. Mine were super cheap priced at less than $30.00
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionna
I recently purchased Kevlar jeans made by Shift. I ordered them from Sportbiketrackgear.com. They have hip and knee protectors. While not as effective as leather pants, they are better than regular jeans which offer zero protection. Mine were super cheap priced at less than $30.00
You must have caught a super sale there. I just went to the site and the only ones they have are Alpiners which run $99.95.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Rionna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionna
You must have caught a super sale there. I just went to the site and the only ones they have are Alpiners which run $99.95.

You're right, they are much more expensive now. Remember, I am in the women's section. The jeans are now $49.95. Once you place an item in your cart and then close out the page, they will send you a discount coupon via email. A lot of companies will do that but you have to set up an account and provide your email address.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Fish Baseball

cannot say enough good things about kevlar jeans. Much cooler in summer than leathers, and being that we've been getting loads of awesome riding weather of late down here in Australia, wearing leathers is gonna reduce me to a puddle of sweat before i get to where I'm going. I've put my bike down a year and a bit ago, and slid over the gravel shoulder of before i came to a rest (admittedly with a broken shoulder, 9 pins 2 plates to fix) but skin still intact thanks to the jeans. Just make sure you get the ones with the full saddle of kevlar, not just down the front and back of your legs.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Ditto on the full saddle comment. A rider went down here with only jeans on and slid quite a ways on his backside after he stopped bouncing and banging about. His road rash was apparently beyond belief and right through to the bone.