10-20 miles 3 4.17%
20-50 miles 4 5.56%
50-100 miles 8 11.11%
100-200 miles 6 8.33%
200 miles + 18 25.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
dison001

Re: How many miles before you first whoops?

No clue why the poll didnt work. Glad to know Im not the oddball. Its Friday. I finished my class Sunday. Insurance and DMV work done Monday. I've only gotten to ride it 5 miles since. If Im not working, its been raining. Or about to rain. I really dont want to get caught in the rain until I get a few more miles under my belt. My little Suzuki rides so much better then the little Kawasaki I was on in the MSF course. Anybody know where I can buy a front fender? And how much trouble they are to replace?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Tugboat Annie

The first time I dropped the bike was during the second day of the MSF course. Did you know bikes need a little accelerator to stay upright in a sharp turn? LOL Nothing hurt but my confidence.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
raul10141964

on this bike about 1000 mi

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Rionna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Oh crap. Thanks Rionna. I dumped a 250 Yamaha during the rider training when I went with Lynda in 2007. Slow manuevers and my knee prevented my turning the bars so I lost my balance. No damage, no hurting so all was well.
Wow, thanks WW, knowing that it happened to you too makes me feel a little better. I messed up with the slow maneuvers as well. It was like slow motion and the bike just toppled.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Oh crap. Thanks Rionna. I dumped a 250 Yamaha during the rider training when I went with Lynda in 2007. Slow manuevers and my knee prevented my turning the bars so I lost my balance. No damage, no hurting so all was well.
Wow, thanks WW, knowing that it happened to you too makes me feel a little better. I messed up with the slow maneuvers as well. It was like slow motion and the bike just toppled.
I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Everyone drops a bike someday. I had a very slow drop with my Vstrom a week after I got it. I had just stopped on gravel and my foot went out from under me when a stone rolled under my foot. It was a slow graceful lay down. Got a couple scratches on the bike. That was the day I wore the new off of the bike.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
northsidegz

I owned an 82 Suzuki GS450 that somebody had converted to a bobber. I was a newbie rider and was having problems with it dying before even riding it (hadn't taken my basic training course yet either). One day, I finally got the dang thing started by ripping on the throttle as soon as I turned the key to start it. The bike proceeded to take me (yes, "take", mind you because at this point I have no control of this machine) straight up on the neighbors yard for about 50 feet, practically to their front door to which I swerved to my left with my legs flailing all over the place and back onto the road.

My wife, who witnessed the beautiful take off, has not let me forget about it yet.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Kcarvajal

How many miles before you first whoops?

Don't know the miles, but it was the summer I got the bike and my license. Took the msf course and all.

Anyway, at the end of my driveway, sitting on the bike as I had the choke on to warm it up. I had my helmet on, but not fastened. Well, the time came when I thought the bike was warm enough and I attempted to secure my helmet. I forgot I was in first and let go of the clutch. Bike took off under me, I roll back and bounced off my rear wheel (bike is bobbed and no rear fender at the time) and I roll off, feet in the air, as the bike takes off a few feet before falling over. Glad I had my helmet on and more importantly, no one saw me, I think/hope.

Learned my lesson though and always made sure I'm in Neutral. That would suck if it was in traffic.

Couldn't start the bike for 10 minutes or so. Was told there's some sort of a safety switch that cuts the power off, per the Suzuki rep.

Ken
Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

I do not think the GZ has a safety switch in case of tip over. Most if not all FI bikes have a tip over switch to cut off the fuel/fuel pump and stop the engine.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #19
alantf

Yes, there definitely isn't one on the GZ.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
Kcarvajal

How many miles before you first whoops?

Hmmm. Not what I was told. Whatever happened, just glad I was able to start it again 10 mins later after not being able to when it fell over.