Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
bourbonjohnson

Best way to clean the chain?

I bought a bike with a VERY dirty chain. After looking at the chain for too long, I did some research and found that the chain does not have a master link.

I would like to know if there is a quick way to remove the chain without having to tear the bike apart. Do I need to buy a chain breaker or is there another option?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-03-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Everyone has their own way of doing things so you will get lots of answers. I put my rear tire up in the air and use WD40 and a chain brush moving the chain by turning the rear tire. I then wipe it clean after it has had time to soak in and then use DuPont Multi Lube Teflon spray instead of the traditional chain lube/oil. I have not seen any deterioration of the o-rings and the chain travels very quietly. I now have approximately 12,500 miles on the chain and it looks like new with no appreciable stretching.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Everyone has their own way of doing things so you will get lots of answers. I put my rear tire up in the air and use WD40 and a chain brush moving the chain by turning the rear tire. I then wipe it clean after it has had time to soak in and then use DuPont Multi Lube Teflon spray instead of the traditional chain lube/oil. I have not seen any deterioration of the o-rings and the chain travels very quietly. I now have approximately 12,500 miles on the chain and it looks like new with no appreciable stretching.
I used to do the same......But lubed with PJ-1.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:22 AM   #4
5th_bike

Manual says to use kerosene to clean it (I use it with a paint brush), and motor oil to lube (I use heavy gear oil).

Careful with the WD-40, it could deteriorate the o rings.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike View Post
Manual says to use kerosene to clean it (I use it with a paint brush), and motor oil to lube (I use heavy gear oil).

Careful with the WD-40, it could deteriorate the o rings.
Kerosene is great (& cheaper)....W-D 40 will not harm the neoprene o-rings & Chan wax is much cleaner & wont attract dirt like gear oil............But to each their own.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:28 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Kerosene and a brush here. Wipe clean and dry. Add your fav lube.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #7
wacio

I would be carefull with wax as chain lube. From my long biking experience wax is ineffective. Yes - it keeps chain clean, but unless you lube every ride - it just doesn't stay on - causing quick wear and rust.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
I would be carefull with wax as chain lube. From my long biking experience wax is ineffective. Yes - it keeps chain clean, but unless you lube every ride - it just doesn't stay on - causing quick wear and rust.
I cleaned & lubed every 1000 Km & chain was still in great shape after 30000 km using PJ1.I found it perfect as it goes on liquid to penetrate & than thicken to stay in place.I also find it a great cable lube.

Last edited by blaine; 08-08-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #9
wacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
I cleaned & lubed every 1000 Km & chain was still in great shape after 30000 km using PJ1.I found it perfect as it goes on liquid to penetrate & than thicken to stay in place.I also find it a great cable lube.
Thanks for response. I looked at the product you recommend. It is not described as wax. I actually see on manufacturers site:

"PJ1 New Improved Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lube applies easily and penetrates into the pins and rollers to set up into a tacky, grease-like coating. PJ1 Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lubes resilient coating reduces chain stretching and shock that normally is encountered during off-road racing and riding. Displaces and repels water. Will not harden and crack like wax"

My experience with wax lubricants was exactly as described bold above. It was flaking off easily and gone after few miles.

Last edited by wacio; 08-09-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacio View Post
Thanks for response. I looked at the product you recommend. It is not described as wax. I actually see on manufacturers site:

"PJ1 New Improved Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lube applies easily and penetrates into the pins and rollers to set up into a tacky, grease-like coating. PJ1 Black Label Heavy Duty Chain Lubes resilient coating reduces chain stretching and shock that normally is encountered during off-road racing and riding. Displaces and repels water. Will not harden and crack like wax"

My experience with wax lubricants was exactly as described bold above. It was flaking off easily and gone after few miles.
Sorry....I stand corrected.....Wrong terminology on my part.

Tags
chain, cleaning